Why become a member? ×

What do you love about the Bass or Amp you choose to use ?

lojo

I love my Variax though an X3 Live as I can get pretty much any sound for any situation I could ever need. It plays well and looks amazing, since I reworked it, and it's a one off now. 

Amp wise I don't really care about my sound as long as I can hear myself. I always go through the PA with a floor monitor. No point taking an amp just for my own pleasure, the sound out front is what matters. 

I love EBS tone, I either DI with a Microbass II or use a HD350 and NE0 2x12

The clarity of the sound from their kit is just superb, every note is crystal clear and the solid state, class A/B HD350 has got real power behind it, belying it's 350 watt rating.

My Lakland jazz has a really comfortable neck and the tone matches up with the EBS really well. It looks a bit sexy too (natural/maple/black blocks and black pickguard)

I love the look and feel of my Spector euro and rebop basses. I am lucky enough to have 2 euro’s and 1 rebop which all have different voices, so have some versatility. 

I love my GK Fusion 550 and Neo cabs, the head can go from warm and vintage, to bright hi fi or balls out grit. 

The combination of the two is just how I always sounded in my head, but couldn’t translate into the real world. 

• Like 1

I love my Spectors!

I love the sleek shape, the ergonomic belly curve, the solid build, the finishing quality, the attention to detail, the comfortable neck, the history, the customer service/support, the crown inlays and the range of solid, authoritative & USABLE tones B|

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

GK 1001rb, 750 watts through 2 tens.

Headroom, it's all about headroom.

Blue

@blue I did like my rb1001rb, it was very clear and bloody loud!! Like you say, it had headroom for days especially at 4 ohms. My only gripe was that it was difficult to get what I would call a “warm sound” but that may just be my paying style. When I switched to the fusion 550, it opened up the option of that warm vintage sound I was looking for plus still had the ability to do the GK sound. If you get the chance, give one a try. 

Plus I enjoy watching the motorised Knobs move 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Damonjames said:

@blue I did like my rb1001rb, it was very clear and bloody loud!! Like you say, it had headroom for days especially at 4 ohms. My only gripe was that it was difficult to get what I would call a “warm sound” but that may just be my paying style. When I switched to the fusion 550, it opened up the option of that warm vintage sound I was looking for plus still had the ability to do the GK sound. If you get the chance, give one a try. 

Plus I enjoy watching the motorised Knobs move 😂

That's a tube pre-amp in the 550. Yeah I look into that.

I've been thinking about returning to an all valve amp. But not an SVT because it would never compare to the SVT I purchased new in 1973.

I'm not sure who makes Kick derrière bass tube amp today.

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

That's a tube pre-amp in the 550. Yeah I look into that.

I've been thinking about returning to an all valve amp. But not an SVT because it would never compare to the SVT I purchased new in 1973.

I'm not sure who makes Kick derrière bass tube amp today.

I got to be honest Blue, a late 60’s svt through an 8x10 is my idea of sonic heaven, but until such time as I can afford to pay a road crew to carry it for me (no time soon!!!) it’s not an option. 

The Fusion 550 keeps me happy!!

My Jazz bass mainly because it has such a nice feel to it. The neck is what i like most about it. If i could get that neck on my PJ i would be happy too.

Amp wise i'm never really totally satisfied. I have a combination of rigs and the only cab i love is my Berg HT322 because it does what its should and very nicely too. Its just a bit heavy. Aiming to try out the Mesa gear this year and hopefully the Subway range will answer my prayers for the ideal amp configuration.

Dave

I love the active/passive switch on my recently acquired Ibanez singlecut. 

I treat the bass almost exclusively as a passive instrument, only using the onboard EQ as a preset to boost the lows and mids with a tiny bit of treble cut for when I favour the bridge pickup.

3 hours ago, ianrendall said:

I love the active/passive switch on my recently acquired Ibanez singlecut. 

I treat the bass almost exclusively as a passive instrument, only using the onboard EQ as a preset to boost the lows and mids with a tiny bit of treble cut for when I favour the bridge pickup.

I love MIJ Ibanez.

Can those settings be heard in the house or only on stage?

Blue

From a purely illogical perspective, I love the fact that my Markbass rig looks good, which is an important consideration when it's going to be sitting around my house. Some amps just look ugly, like there was absolutely no consideration given to how it looked when it was designed. 

From a more logical perspective I love the fact my new bass has a precision pickup, two jazz bars and three Musicman bars and can make just about any combination of the pickups. At the moment I'm particularly liking the precision on the neck of coupled with a Musicman humbucker on the bridge. It also has a John East 5 knob preamp with bass, mid, treble, mid sweep, bright knob and pickup pan so it can do just about anything I ask of of it. Not only is the flexibility great but the quality of the tones is just superb. I believe I have found "the one. 

2 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

From a purely illogical perspective, I love the fact that my Markbass rig looks good, which is an important consideration when it's going to be sitting around my house. Some amps just look ugly, like there was absolutely no consideration given to how it looked when it was designed. 

From a more logical perspective I love the fact my new bass has a precision pickup, two jazz bars and three Musicman bars and can make just about any combination of the pickups. At the moment I'm particularly liking the precision on the neck of coupled with a Musicman humbucker on the bridge. It also has a John East 5 knob preamp with bass, mid, treble, mid sweep, bright knob and pickup pan so it can do just about anything I ask of of it. Not only is the flexibility great but the quality of the tones is just superb. I believe I have found "the one. 

What the heck bass is it. Sounds awesome. :D