Why become a member? ×

Routers

BrunoBass

Hi everyone, I’m looking for recommendations for a power tool to rout pickup cavities, neck pockets and the edges of band saw shaped blanks. I’ve used big, hand held plunge routers in a previous life, but I’m guessing something like that would be overkill.

What would be a compact, lightweight but sufficiently powerful alternative?

Thanks.

Check out the Makita RT0700C. It's a compact, lightweight trimmer router. It's very easy to control and probably better suited to the delicate job of guitar building. The only thing it lacks is a plunge stop - you set the depth before routing. It's around £100 ish on Amazon, but you might want to look at the X4 kit which includes a side bearing guide ideal for routing binding channels 

That Makita looks like a nice unit. I've recently got a Triton JOF001 which I really like. It has a really nice micro depth adjuster. I don't think you'd want something too small if you are doing the edges of a body. I don't think you'll beat a router for this task - don't even consider a Dremel or the like. They're only any good for free hand shaping or inlay work (with the precision base) in my opinion.

I've also got a cheap Black and Decker router (was about £50) and that has been plenty good enough up to now. I only got the Triton for thereof adjuster and the 1/2" collet.

There was a router for sale in the 'sell anything' forum.

Cheers

Jez

Just saying BB, but you were going to look at it when you got home on the day that i PM'd you, as you were having trouble with the site or something.  But the site was having trouble with profiles, not links in signatures

Links were working, so why you didnt look when you got home, as you said,  on the day in question is a mystery, as that was a few days ago now

On 27/03/2018 at 07:58, Norris said:

Check out the Makita RT0700C. It's a compact, lightweight trimmer router. It's very easy to control and probably better suited to the delicate job of guitar building. The only thing it lacks is a plunge stop - you set the depth before routing. It's around £100 ish on Amazon, but you might want to look at the X4 kit which includes a side bearing guide ideal for routing binding channels 

I've got one of these and use it for nearly every router based job now.  Tough, reliable and capable piece of kit.  My big 1/2" router is overkill for nearly everything except fitting locks.  I think it would work a treat for cutting pickup cavities etc.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 20:15, fleabag said:

Just saying BB, but you were going to look at it when you got home on the day that i PM'd you, as you were having trouble with the site or something.  But the site was having trouble with profiles, not links in signatures

Links were working, so why you didnt look when you got home, as you said,  on the day in question is a mystery, as that was a few days ago now

I've heard that some people have lives outside Basschat! B|

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1