Why become a member? ×

Cheap Jazz type bass

jezzaboy

I`m looking to buy a cheap Jazz bass, just for playing in the house. The 3 candidates are:

Harley Benton Jazz, J&D 75 Jazz and the Aria STB Jazz.

I had a HB P bass and it was decent, the J&D gets a bit of love and I like the colour options but both of these brands have stories regarding rough frets and quality issues which makes me think they are one of those "lucky dip" basses. I know, at the price point, you can have some with issues. I can`t find much info on the Aria and I realise that they aren`t the Aria of old but I can play one in GG in Glasgow and see what it`s like.

Fire away....

This HAS to be worth looking at:

OK, you could be wanting a brand new axe, but this is a good deal. I know he says pick up from East London, but I can oblige with packing materials and a courier can be sorted. If it comes to it, I'll pick it up and pack it and send it if you were to sort the money out.

• Like 1

@jezzaboy

Why would any "issues" with either the Harley Benton or J&D matter, both are on-line purchases so just get returned if found faulty. My JB-75 was a cracking bass, weighed a ton just like the 70's Fenders it's based on :biggrin: The Roswell pickups are grand. BTW the reason for the swap to Roswell from Wilkinson is simply better QC. The Chinese factories building the HBs kept getting fake Wilkinsons from their suppilers

This is probably more than you want to spend but I think it's tasty.

http://www.ccmusicshop.co.uk/product/revelation-rpbx-j-style-bass-in-3-tone-sunburst/

Get yourself over to CC Music in Otago St and try it for yourself :)

The J&D 75 Jazz is outstanding, for a shade over £100, as I’ve posted elsewhere on this forum. I bought mine with the intention of swapping parts out, but I haven’t as it’s perfectly adequate as it is.  I gig mine fairly regularly, I take it to the gigs where I don’t want to take my Jazz Deluxe. I’m really impressed with it.

• Like 1

I've got a Harley Benton 75 and a J&D that arrived a couple of weeks ago they're both superb vfm but I must admit to preferring the J&D as it's much lighter than the HB and on looking inside, the wiring was of a better quality than the HB as standard, I replaced the HB wiring with a kiogon loom before I gigged it ( I would now happily gig it anywhere ) but all I've done with the J&D is set it up in drop B and put new strings on to suit, I gigged it last Friday and it got several compliments on it's sound and looks ( it's a surf green ). 

Edited by doomed

13 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Conan. Is that one of the short scale mini Jazz`s or are you just a very tall chap!

Full size bass... I'm six foot three and a bit "large-boned" mind... :$  Moomintroll will (as always) provide a sense of scale :D

Edited by Conan

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2018 at 21:40, jezzaboy said:

Ta for the replies. I think I`m going to order a J&D. But they don`t have the white one that I really like the look of until the 22nd of April :(

Must resist!!

Did you order your J&D? What do you think? 

On 5/1/2018 at 09:36, BrunoBass said:

Did you order your J&D? What do you think? 

Sorry mate, just seen your post.

Well, I had a good look around at JD, Squier, Aria etc. But in the end up after watching Andertons "All about the bass" review of the Sire V3 basses, I took a punt on one of those. I had a V7 Sire last year and returned it as I didn`t like the knobs, the bridge and head stock shape and it`s almost twice the price of the V3. Boy have I changed my mind!

I got a white model and I`ve got to say it has won me over. The bass arrived in this box so I thought the worst.

20180406_152716.thumb.jpg.7ae34c0e848631843a07d5d8ceafafd4.jpg

But by some miracle, the bass was fine. The intonation was spot on, just a small adjustment to the action and I took it to rehearsal that night. Played through my Fender Rumble, it sounded great. The stock strings were crap but a set of Daddario`s sorted that. A set of Gotoh tuners I bought from here and a set of black metal knobs completed the look. 

I was playing Bonfest (acdc festival) up in Kirremuir last night and took the Sire along with my Yamaha as a back up. I used an old Marshall head that was well beat up into a 4 x10 cab and cranked the head up. No time for a sound check so I just used the previous guy`s settings, put the Sire into active and got a decent sound on stage. It must have sounded ok out front as a few guys said it sounded good. 

I`m really glad I bought this bass as having the active option saved my bacon last night. And the price? £234 delivered to my door. The tuners and knobs were about £50 all in and I changed them more for the looks than anything. I`m glad I took the chance on buying another Sire and in the future, I might get another one and just use the two of them.

Edited by jezzaboy

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Sorry mate, just seen your post.

Well, I had a good look around at JD, Squier, Aria etc. But in the end up after watching Andertons "All about the bass" review of the Sire V3 basses, I took a punt on one of those. I had a V7 Sire last year and returned it as I didn`t like the knobs, the bridge and head stock shape and it`s almost twice the price of the V3. Boy have I changed my mind!

I got a white model and I`ve got to say it has won me over. The bass arrived in this box so I thought the worst.

20180406_152716.thumb.jpg.7ae34c0e848631843a07d5d8ceafafd4.jpg

But by some miracle, the bass was fine. The intonation was spot on, just a small adjustment to the action and I took it to rehearsal that night. Played through my Fender Rumble, it sounded great. The stock strings were crap but a set of Daddario`s sorted that. A set of Gotoh tuners I bought from here and a set of black metal knobs completed the look. 

I was playing Bonfest (acdc festival) up in Kirremuir last night and took the Sire along with my Yamaha as a back up. I used an old Marshall head that was well beat up into a 4 x10 cab and cranked the head up. No time for a sound check so I just used the previous guy`s settings, put the Sire into active and got a decent sound on stage. It must have sounded ok out front as a few guys said it sounded good. 

I`m really glad I bought this bass as having the active option saved my bacon last night. And the price? £234 delivered to my door. The tuners and knobs were about £50 all in and I changed them more for the looks than anything. I`m glad I took the chance on buying another Sire and in the future, I might get another one and just use the two of them.

Good stuff. I’ve not played a Sire yet, everyone seems very positive about them. 

Worrying hole in the box though... I had a bass delivered from Thomann yesterday and the outer box was completely open. Everything ok inside luckily! 

On 3/26/2018 at 20:48, jezzaboy said:

I`m looking to buy a cheap Jazz bass, just for playing in the house. The 3 candidates are:

Harley Benton Jazz, J&D 75 Jazz and the Aria STB Jazz.

I had a HB P bass and it was decent, the J&D gets a bit of love and I like the colour options but both of these brands have stories regarding rough frets and quality issues which makes me think they are one of those "lucky dip" basses. I know, at the price point, you can have some with issues. I can`t find much info on the Aria and I realise that they aren`t the Aria of old but I can play one in GG in Glasgow and see what it`s like.

Fire away....

J&D Jazz for me.

It felt and sounded glorious. I know some people changed the pickups but I *loved* the sound of mine. Rough fret ends are sorted in minutes, don't let that put you off.

Alternatively... a used Squier Jazz. It's hard to find a bad one if you stay from the Affinity range.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 20:18, BrunoBass said:

The J&D 75 Jazz is outstanding, for a shade over £100, as I’ve posted elsewhere on this forum. I bought mine with the intention of swapping parts out, but I haven’t as it’s perfectly adequate as it is.  I gig mine fairly regularly, I take it to the gigs where I don’t want to take my Jazz Deluxe. I’m really impressed with it.

I gigged mine a few times too. It sounded great and required no 'upgrades'.

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Ah... a Sire won.

I have to say that I haven't tried many Sires... but they were all very good. Good choice!

I was going to play safe and go with a Squier but at £350 ish, I think that`s taking the pee. Had the Sire not been to my liking, it was getting sent back and I would have bought a JD. The Sire V3 is just crazy money for what you get. I believe the pre amp is the same you get in the V7. I hope they bring out a version with the P/J pickup in the V3 range.

41 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I was going to play safe and go with a Squier but at £350 ish, I think that`s taking the pee. Had the Sire not been to my liking, it was getting sent back and I would have bought a JD. The Sire V3 is just crazy money for what you get. I believe the pre amp is the same you get in the V7. I hope they bring out a version with the P/J pickup in the V3 range.

I hope they don't... because I'll end up buying one :D

The new Squiers are really good 'though. The CV series in particular, they're great instruments with nothing lacking. When you compare them to what you used to get from a Squier, you realise the extra money is justified. 

The Sire looks brilliant in the pictures on Thomann, love the tobacco burst 😍 Fantastic value for money if they play as well as you and others say. How are they on weight? Many people say the lower price end basses are heavier, having only ever owned a US F. Jazz which I found uncomfortably heavy I’d love to know how these are. 

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

I hope they don't... because I'll end up buying one :D

The new Squiers are really good 'though. The CV series in particular, they're great instruments with nothing lacking. When you compare them to what you used to get from a Squier, you realise the extra money is justified. 

I had a black and maple VM 77 18 months ago and it was really nice. I changed the tuners and bridge and sold it, God knows why :(. I think I payed £230 for it new but due to all the stuff that has went down, it`s now £319. My first bass was a Squier P bass special and the VM blows it out of the water fit and finish wise. 

7 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

The Sire looks brilliant in the pictures on Thomann, love the tobacco burst 😍 Fantastic value for money if they play as well as you and others say. How are they on weight? Many people say the lower price end basses are heavier, having only ever owned a US F. Jazz which I found uncomfortably heavy I’d love to know how these are. 

Mine weighs just under 5 kg so no light weight. They do seem to vary quite a bit in weight. But with a good strap, it hasn`t caused me any problems.

Edited by jezzaboy