Why become a member? ×

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

lojo

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, peteb said:

I went and bought a Fender P because I knew that some of the people I was playing with (and also some of the band leaders that I wouldn’t mind playing with) preferred that sound image / look. The BL was gushing about how great the new bass was and said that his bass playing mate had said “I see that Pete has got himself a proper bass at last”!

Personally, I think that a lot of it is nonsense and that a decent bass will get a sound that will work in pretty much all situations. But it can’t be denied that a lot of people think that a ‘proper’ bass sounds and looks like the basses on the records they grew up with (be it Motown or the Clash) and ideally has ‘Fender Made in USA’ written on the headstock. So, I bought one because it would help me get more gigs.

I heard a story of someone auditioning for Mark Knopfler who turned up with a high end coffee table 5 string. The audition obviously went well because he was asked to come back but Knopfler said to him ‘next time you come, bring something that looks like a proper bass’! So, he went and bought a 5 string that looked like a Fender for the second audition and I believe that he got the gig in the end.

People can (and will, I'm sure) say this is wrong and that we should stand up for our rights, but if you want the gig, have the gear the band expects you to have. The reality is that most of the time, that will mean a Fender, or at last something that looks like one. Even if it's a Squier!

To be honest, I haven’t played a Squier since the 80s, when they actually were better than the crappy Fenders being produced at that time. My reference for the OP’s question is a MIM Fender, which are certainly not anywhere near as good as any of my basses or any recent American Fenders. I certainly could use one for my current gigs if I had to, but would much prefer a better bass. I have certainly seen some pros occasionally use old Squire basses on blues gigs.

I don’t know how the hypothetical Squire in the OP would compare to a MIM Fender? 

Edited by peteb

I have a couple of MiM Jazz basses and they aren't far short of the US Standards I have. In fact my most recent purchase was a new MiM Jazz, and it compares well with the US Jazz I sold recently. I think the MiM standards might just be the best value basses around right now. 

I haven't played a Squier for a few years either, but more recently than the early 80s. Some of the higher end Squiers (CV series, for example) are pretty good, but the wood is softer than a Fender (MiM or US) and screws loosen fairly quickly.

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I have a couple of MiM Jazz basses and they aren't far short of the US Standards I have. In fact my most recent purchase was a new MiM Jazz, and it compares well with the US Jazz I sold recently. I think the MiM standards might just be the best value basses around right now. 

I haven't played a Squier for a few years either, but more recently than the early 80s. Some of the higher end Squiers (CV series, for example) are pretty good, but the wood is softer than a Fender (MiM or US) and screws loosen fairly quickly.

I have to say that the MIMs that I've played were a bit agricultural, even for Fenders! I actually like the US Standards from 5 years or so ago (more than the current Pro series) and would certainly buy one if I needed another Fender. Softer wood is generally not great for basses, but the older Squires are certainly highly rated. 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I have to say that the MIMs that I've played were a bit agricultural, even for Fenders! I actually like the US Standards from 5 years or so ago (more than the current Pro series) and would certainly buy one if I needed another Fender. Softer wood is generally not great for basses, but the older Squires are certainly highly rated. 

I have several US Standard Precisions, all are 2012 or later. The 2017 Jazz MiM I bought is a very playable bass. I might change the bridge (for a Babicz) at some point, but it feels and sounds fine, records well, has played several gigs and is consistently in tune. I can't comment on how long it will last, but it seems every bit as robust as my US basses. Now that Fender have dropped the US Standards, I think the MiM Standards may well be taking their place. My new one is definitely a step up in quality compared to older MiMs I no longer have.

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

Shame they were completely non-committal in making any meaningful conclusion, but I guess that's the nature of their "advert" style of videos - they daren't say "Yeah I genuinely can't tell any difference between the Mexican and the USA" or dare I say, the Squier!  Its also a shame that they didn't see past the strings of the Japanese one.

23 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, IMHO, it doesn't make them awful instruments. You just didn't like the sound if them. All very subjective for such a sweeping statement. I don't believe I used a car analogy ¬¬

Ok, I thought they were awful instruments. I thought the sounds totally uninspiring, didn't like how they felt and thought the woodworking pretty average for this day and age, certainly at the price point. Does that help? Is that specific enough?  I never said everyone else would think so, as you may have gathered if you bothered to read my subsequent posts. 

And no, you didn't use a car analogy. But strangely enough, that was replying to the thread generally and to the people who had, not just your post. Lighten up. 

Now, back to surfing grandmothers...

Edited by 4000

I have a Squier VM Jazz, and a Fender American std Jazz (2013), and played side by side, with same set up, strings, etc, the difference is night and day. In my opinion of course. 

The Fender sounds much richer and 3 dimensional, there really is a pronounced difference. I also find a lot of neck dive with the Squier as the body is so light.

Could you do a gig with a Squier? Yes of course. The first bass I owned was an 80's Korean Squier, and I really liked the sound of it at the time.

24 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No need to be like that my friend.

I was just a little perplexed that you thought that they were so dreadful as it’s the polar opposite to my experience of that brand. Also, a little concerning in that I’m considering ordering another one and just wondered whether there was something that I’ve missed/have I just been lucky thus far with the ones I’ve had? All things to consider when weighing out that sort of money. 

I felt your post came across as mine obviously has to you, hence the tone of my response. Ah, the joys of the internet. :biggrin:

FWIW I've played probably half a dozen or so Fodera's. I did quite like one, although I wouldn't have paid anything for it, but the others I really thought were the Emperor's New Clothes. There was nothing whatsoever about them that spoke to me. But as I note in my other posts, the entire issue of what is or isn't good is always entirely subjective IMO. If you like them and they work for you, buy them. I think the best advice I could ever give to someone wondering what bass to buy is, ignore what anyone else thinks and buy what works for you, whatever it is. Although my caveat regarding variances in individual instruments still applies.  

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Genuine question ‘cos I don’t know. Some mention ‘not unless they make a 5’. Do they not make a 5 then? If not, why not?

Squier make a few 5s.  Precision and Jazz in various guises and trim levels, also the MB-5. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

FWIW I've played probably half a dozen or so Fodera's. I did quite like one, although I wouldn't have paid anything for it, but the others I really thought were the Emperor's New Clothes. 

As I said above, the best bass that I have ever played was a Fodera. It looks like I was lucky to find one of the very few good £6k+ basses out there...

Yes. I do. Got a Squire VM5 Precision & a VM5 Jazz. Gig & record with both. Bought both 2nd hand unmarked for £210 & £190 respectively. Cheap & cheerful? Yarp but also very good. Sure an american version would be a better instrument but I can take these to the roughest venue & if it gets damaged or nicked its not the end of the world. I have barely played my pukka Stingray since getting the Squires.

On 30/03/2018 at 19:04, 4000 said:

The one I quite liked was a Wooten Yin Yang Deluxe IIRC. It was in the Gallery, what, maybe 10 years ago? Ironically I seem to remember I was buying the Sei Melt at the time. 

Funnily enough I saw some of those on aliexpress yesterday, only £200 - can’t be that good xD

He's having a laugh, for an '83 with later logo. £770 wasn't too bad at all, though, for one in such nice nick. 

I'm late to the party, but I've used the same Squier JV for every gig I've done in 25 years in I don't know how many bands so I s'pose I'd better vote yes!

Edited by KK Jale

I voted no, until Squire come out with a 6 string bass (other than the Bass VI, I dont really see that being any good tuned B - C). I've played some really nicely set up Squires, and while the general sound isn't particularly my cup of tea they don't sound bad by any stretch. But I couldn't perform a lot of what I write without a 6 string

I used a Squier Matt Freeman Precision for all my recording and gigging for the best part of three years. It’s the only bass I own at the minute. I’ve owned all sorts of Fenders over the years, including American Standards, but the Matt Freeman is the best bass I’ve owned in terms of feel, sound and playability.