Why become a member? ×

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

lojo

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

A few minutes roughing up with that machine and the mojo will start the show up. Done just right, she'll be indistinguishable from a genine early 1950's one.

Shame really,  I prefer an unmarked model to one that has been artificially worn. At least any marks on them will bring back memories, hopefully not of the resulting court cases though!

7 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

While we're at it then, surely all the upright bass comments are a bit pointless? If my current role was surfing 60-footers off Maui then I couldn't do it with a Squier bass, because I'd need a surfboard. The list of things Squier don't make is very long indeed, and surely irrelevant. xD

Don't blame me for giving an honest and accurate answer.  And just put a foil on that slab and drop in at Jaws, no worries.

Edited by Passinwind

8 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

While we're at it then, surely all the upright bass comments are a bit pointless? If my current role was surfing 60-footers off Maui then I couldn't do it with a Squier bass, because I'd need a surfboard. The list of things Squier don't make is very long indeed, and surely irrelevant. xD

Have you actually tried surfing with a Squier? If not, I'm not sure you should be expressing a view about its limitations quite so boldly. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Have you actually tried surfing with a Squier? If not, I'm not sure you should be expressing a view about its limitations quite so boldly. 

I suspect that he hasn't, as if he had he would not be in a condition to write his posts on account of being drownded.

10 hours ago, discreet said:

Ahhh, I did not understand. Again. :)

That answer was accurate, but perhaps a bit flip. In the case of my current occasional bass guitar gigs it would still be a "no" though. The diva I play with would definitely notice (not hypothetical, this actually happened two weeks ago), and whether it was a Squier, MIM, MIJ, MIA, or "boutique" Fender knockoff, she has specifically and repeatedly requested something else. But in all honesty, I really enjoyed playing that particular J knockoff-ish bass, and I'm sure I would've enjoyed playing a Squier J  to some degree as well.

Edited by Passinwind

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, but you are talking about times past, when the market price for grandmothers was not what is today. I really think that has to be taken into account.

You have to remember that many grandmothers are in their 50s/60s (I.e date from 1958 or either side thereabouts) - whilst some wear their age nicely with reasonable relicing, some are majorly distressed whilst others are perfectly preserved. However there's a strong line in grandmother facsimiles from much more recent times - in fact to use a 1950s phrase paraphrased, lamb dressed as mutton - then there'd be the even cheaper versions (cuts of mutton) masquerading as 60 yr old grandmothers - these would be the Squiers we are talking of - apparently they sound, operate and perform on a par with the real vintage version so much so that anyone's regular partner, even one with very high operating costs and performance could be replaced by a cheaper facsimile grandmother lookalike according to over 90% of people in quite unrepresentative samples.

Spooky that.... 👍😯😂

Edited by drTStingray
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, lojo said:

Without dismissing this as untrue (I'm sure it's true to you) I find this one of the most interesting comments of the thread 

I can't believe I'm alone in saying that the first 2 or 3 basses I owned where way below the quality of modern squier and at the time where more than adequate 

Ok, to expand a bit:

I have a very cheap 2nd hand Encore P, which I keep at work for odd bits of practice in lunch breaks and occasional drunken jams after work on a Friday. For that I do actually enjoy playing it, and it's easy to play and has a decent sound for the price. But it's nothing special. I can stop any time I want to :-)

I first picked up a bass 45 years after my mother had beaten it into my head that I would never be able to play (anything). That's a pretty deep-seated demon; and it took months to develop my finger muscles and learn to control them - one way or another, for most of that first year everything seemed to confirm that my mother had been right all along and I should never have started. A lot of the credit for getting me through that year to where I am now goes to my excellent, endlessly patient and encouraging teacher. But it's also a lot of credit to the bass. This wasn't just something ordinary, that I could sell on and write off the experience - this was something special, probably unique, that felt "meant to be mine", and I had to live up to it. (It had come in to Promenade Music just hours before I walked in - Gary had to enter it into the stock database before he could sell it to me.) 

Sorry, that's a bit much about me - and I hope of no relevance to anyone else here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Nah, it's not a proper surfboard- too many strings for me.

There you go again. How many strings were on the bass for Hawaii 5-O (which, as we all know, was a surf song about surf), or even better still Surfin' USA? 

I think until you have actually tried a Squier for Surfin' I don't think you should so lightly dismiss it as having too many strings for surfing.

Ok, we've hopefully knocked one misguided comment on the head...So what else can't you use a Squier for?

6 hours ago, Passinwind said:

The diva I play with would definitely notice (not hypothetical, this actually happened two weeks ago), and whether it was a Squier, MIM, MIJ, MIA, or "boutique" Fender knockoff, she has specifically and repeatedly requested something else. 

You gotta be kidding me.

Blue

18 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Nope, but it has nothing to do with disliking Fenders. She just prefers a certain bass that I already own for this particular act.  Yel_wink.gif

I'm a Yankee and I've learned that culturally we're a bit different, so here goes;

You'd have to be paying me a lot if you want to dictate what bass I should be playing.

Blue