Why become a member? ×

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

lojo

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

• Yes
    • No

I answered no, because I don't believe I would be able to fully employ all of the subtleties and and inflections that I (try) and utilise in my playing properly on a budget instrument and it would frustrate me far too much.

Perhaps I've been spoiled, but I've been playing high end gear since the early 90's and whenever I've played a budget instrument (usually in a music shop when trying a pedal or amp), I've found it an fairly unpleasant experience. I could technically do it, but it would be missing a significant percentage of what I actually play, and would be a thoroughly hateful experience.

YES - use a 60s CV P-bass for 50% of our set and a US Musicman Sub for the other half. The Sq. really does do the job just as well as the M. and have no problem with the name on the headstock. Also it was a complete bargain which makes me feel even more smug when it sounds so crisp and punchy through my Eden Metro and D210 cab.

Given the quality of some the Squier basses, this wouldn't be a problem, especially after a good set up. Would the audience notice? Not really. Would I notice? Oh yes, there are reasons for having a chambered body, 33" scale and premium pickups.

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Maybe it should say 'current role as a bass player' then!

Does that include double bass or EUB, then..? :D I just found the 'talking poop' comment to be just a touch emphatic. I suppose that a bassoon player could play his/her lines on a Squier bass, and even a triangle percussionist could get a 'Ting..!' from one, somehow, but that wasn't really the spirit of the OP, I think. Never mind; it's only hypothetical anyway. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

The presumption that a bog standard Fender P or J, or the Squier version thereof can be used to perform absolutely every style of music is wrong. Take Level 42 - Mark King used a Jazz - indeed had a signature version - for a short while - then stopped apparently very soon after because it didn't allow him to sound like Mark King (and Level 42 like Level 42) on quite a proportion of what he played - thus it was inadequate for the job. 

The Fender basses and derivatives are fine for a whole range of music - excellent for some - but the idea they may be fine for absolutely everything is really delusional!! If they were none of the other more recent bass types and the styles and sounds of music developed using them would have happened - that is also presumably why Marcus Miller modified his main bass so long ago. 

Tell most Wal players to play a Fender and you'll probably get a rude answer from most. 

For some of us, it's like asking us to take a backward step for no good reason - those who drive Ferraris are not going to willingly going to change to a Ford Popular even though both will no doubt get you from A to B. I often wonder if musicians were in charge of the motor industry whether it would have regressed as far back as solid tyres - after all they support a vehicle perfectly adequately. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Does that include double bass or EUB, then..? :D I just found the 'talking poop' comment to be just a touch emphatic. I suppose that a bassoon player could play his/her lines on a Squier bass, and even a triangle percussionist could get a 'Ting..!' from one, somehow, but that wasn't really the spirit of the OP, I think. Never mind; it's only hypothetical anyway. B|

I voted yes, but the EUB point is a really good one. For anyone who is playing upright and that is a key part of the band's vibe the answer surely has to be 'no'?

• Like 1

The question wasn't 'would you rather play your lines on a Squier?' but 'if you had to, could you?', so short of Dad's triangle, I should think most of us could. It might not be the same, but I doubt very much that anyone would notice except the player themselves. 

I answered 'yes' in the spirit of 'if my Fender was stolen/broken/suddenly stopped working at a gig, could I finish the gig with a Squier that magically appeared?' to which the only realistic answer is yes, if necessary, I could.

I am sure that if a Ferrari owner's car broke down in the middle of nowhere, the offer of a bog standard Ford to get them home would be accepted as it could be a very long walk!

But really, the question is a bit pointless. I am sure that anyone who would rather play a Squier than a Fender, Wal, Alembic or whatever already does so. 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I voted yes, but the EUB point is a really good one. For anyone who is playing upright and that is a key part of the band's vibe the answer surely has to be 'no'?

But even then it would get the job done, the other option would be to cancel the gig or busk it vocally!

I have no idea what a Zongshen is, but I suspect most, if not all, Ducati owners would turn their noses up at it. I know quite a few Ducati owners and most of them turn their noses up at anything except a Ducati. But 'could you ride it' doesn't ask whether you'd enjoy it, see the light and flog the rattly old Duke and buy one, just whether you'd be able to. Assuming it has 2 wheels and a throttle and brake, I can't see any reason why any able-bodied biker would be unable to ride any kind of bike. Unwilling, maybe, but not unable.

I attended a 'Zappa plays Zappa' concert a few years ago, with Terry Bozzio as guest. Just as he was starting his 'routine', his bass drum batter head split. After a couple of minutes 'kerfuffle', he moved over to the 'house' kit whilst a drum tech changed the head, after which he came back down to his own kit. Apart from extensive use of a whole raft of china crashes around his kit, there was no difference whatever in his playing. I reckon the bloke could have finished his spot with cardboard boxes (or even a Squier bass..! :shok: ) if he had to. He's good, is that there Terry Bozzio; very good indeed. :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

But even then it would get the job done, the other option would be to cancel the gig or busk it vocally!

I thought the question included without the audience or band members noticing. In most cases for an upright bass (or band based around say a Wal sound - eg a certain era of Roxymusic) this would be yes. For an upright, if it was a jazz gig, it might result in the band getting no more gigs!!! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1