Why become a member? ×

Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

lojo

234 members have voted

1. 1. Could you perform your current role on a Squier Bass ?

• Yes
    • No

Assume you could walk into a shop and buy any current Squier model , have it set up to your liking and go and perform your current gigs or recording duties ?

Of course you may prefer something else , but would your sound cause any problems for your band members , engineers or audience ? 

If you vote No , please explain , but it can't be for any personal reason (unless you physically couldn't play it) only if you think it would bother someone else as mentioned above 

Edited by lojo

Could I perform my current role on a Squier Bass?

Yes I could. I could also get by on a 4 string Squier bass if I had to.

Find me a 5 string Squier that weighs 4kg or less and I'll buy it tomorrow. Also has to be 3 ts with rosewood fb and tort.

Yup.

As effectively I do nowt. Hahahahaha.

I used to have a lovely 83 squier. Gigged it in favour of many more “expensive” basses...

My stuff is lovely and when I get chance it’s nice to play the CS jazz which effectively replaced the 83.

• Haha 1

Well, I said no, but that isn't entirely true. Of course I could, anyone could, but I only really use a 5 string now, so I would have to rejig the way I am playing things, because fender don't make good 5s. So no, because squiers have the same problems as fenders.

In my last group I played a squier (classic vibe 70s P) for about 6 months, but that was all 4 string stuff - if I was still doing that, I would still be happy with the squier, or the Jazz bass that I switched to afterwards. 

I rotate three basses with my current band. They're all bitsas and they're all predominantly made up of Squier parts. My favourite bass has a Squier neck which came from an instrument I paid the princely sum of £25 for. It's beautiful. I would have absolutely no problem playing an "off the peg" Squier as long as I could tweak the string heights a bit. I'd put an Indonesian Squier bass up against a Mexi Fender any day.

Yes, no problem. I enjoy using my Fenders, they aren't preventing us from keeping a roof over our head or depriving my children of food ( at nearly 30 years old, they can afford their own food!), but if things changed, I could play what I play on a Squier just as easily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, no problem. I enjoy using my Fenders, they aren't preventing us from keeping a roof over our head or depriving my children of food ( at nearly 30 years old, they can afford their own food!), but if things changed, I could play what I play on a Squier just as easily.

That's pretty much how I view my basses

I bet some of you will be surprised to learn that I voted "yes".

It would have to be a 5-string as there are songs in both band's sets that require the low B string. Also it wouldn't be much fun to do it as I don't find the shape of either J or P basses very comfortable to play, but I could do it if I really had to.

Of course I'd also have to customise the body shape and finish to make it more interesting looking. And get rid of those horrible over-sized clunky machine heads...

Yes, as long as it's got 5 strings as my gig requires it, and I'd need to drop some sort of pre amp in it, again because the gig requires versatility. 

I was always taught to make sure I can make any instrument sound plausible at the very least, as bad technique etc will show up even more on a top end bass than a bottom of the range bass. Okay, I was a tad spoiled as my first gig bass was a Wal (my old man is also a bassist), so I learnt very quickly about technique and such. 

The main bass (well until today), was a Warwick Infinity NT5,  with a Jazz Elite V as backup. I'm waiting for my custom build to be completed to the Jazz will become my main, and the backup is going to be a Squier. I have no issues or concerns with that at all. I'll make sure it's well setup, I'm borrowing it so won't be able to drop a pre in it, but it'll at least get me through to the end of the gig if anything was to happen to my main bass.