Why become a member? ×

Anyone had an amp head shell made?

basexperience

I posted ages ago about a Rare Trace elliot V4 1x15 combo I was looking to renovate after the band that had it finally wore it out (literally). 

The cabinet was beyond salvation (although I did strip it before I realised this), and I’ve realised it’s better recused in a new shell as a head - I’ve got plenty of cabs which can take it and it will actually get out to gigs with me. 

I’m looking to get a new head shell made; I have the front badge, the amp (which is now working again!) and a sample of the original tolex from the combo (rescued from the bottom, literally the only tolex left on it). 

Has anyone recased a head before, and if you did, who did it for you? I’ve reached out to several online makers (eg Zilla, Vyse) but nobody has got back to me yet. 

Mum keen to try to make it look as close to the black V4 head as possible, but include the twin top handles that the V8 head has, for extra luggability. That front grille could be tricky, too - the combo had the head tilted backwards, so the grille was very shallow in comparison  

Thanks for any info, dudes!

E80A7B6F-29CC-4B21-9D1F-08424E32F8EA.jpeg

C0E78E28-5AF8-4968-A0AA-52FCC9767EB9.jpeg

I’ve had it done before but the firm I used have since stopped making cabs.  

Any of the custom amp or cab makers should be fine though or look up Chris that makes headshells for people using the ampmaker kits.    Zilla are a popular choice but not the cheapest iirc.   I can’t see an issue with getting the look you want if the Tolex in that colour is available.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, basexperience said:

Thanks dude - I’ve reached out to them but haven’t heard anything back yet. If they do good work I’m not too concerned about their price being a little higher. Good to get a recommendation!

They recovered my fender amp and cab and made  new grill cloth frames for me a couple of years ago. Did a first class job and good service.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/03/2018 at 09:40, cLepto-bass said:

There's a guy local to me that does this exact stuff. Check him out and his previous work here...

http://www.hoffnine.co.uk 

Thanks dude, I looked into Hoffnine. Nice work, but I opted for Zilla after I read enough reviews of their stuff - they seem to be quality and everybody mentions them first. Good gear though!

Update - the head shell is coming along nicely. Looks well built - good job too, it’ll weigh 25Kgs or thereabouts when it’s done!

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. If anyone’s keen I’ll post pics of the finished shell and the head in place!

FF982DF7-CF21-4335-B015-3671ABDCAC4B.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, basexperience said:

Update - the head shell is coming along nicely. Looks well built - good job too, it’ll weigh 25Kgs or thereabouts when it’s done!

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. If anyone’s keen I’ll post pics of the finished shell and the head in place!

FF982DF7-CF21-4335-B015-3671ABDCAC4B.jpeg

Of course we are keen! Looking forward to pics already.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’d be inclined to varnish that so you can still see those joints- looks great.

Hehe that’s cute - but not the plan. The amp’ll be getting a head shell as close to the original head version of the time as possible, with one slight addition of the twin strap handles of the V8 version for improved luggability. 

Haha yep, it’s 25Kg with the amp. 

Paul from zilla just got back to me, it’s complete and he’s done an excellent job; the oval window on the front looks excellent in tolex, and he’s put a good sized square window out back too. The V8 style 3-handle arrangement looks perfect!

Now all I have to do is touch up the black paint on the head in a couple of places, mount the V4 badge on the front grille and she’s ready for some action again  

thanks for your help on here guys, much appreciated.

393683B7-2B49-4066-AE6B-E4E749B6FF4E.jpeg

44ACBD3A-B408-44A0-92E4-2EAB6FE8E0FF.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...