Why become a member? ×

Down half a step

russtufella

I do it for my Bon Jovi tribute and did it for a former band.  Bon Jovi band I use a 5 string, so the low B needs to be a good one!  

Out of laziness I have always kept a couple of basses detuned and a couple at concert pitch but this may change since acquiring my new Jake 5 that I am finding hard to put down.

It's just a change of key, so E would be Eb. I wouldn't down-tune I'd find it weird playing a B and hearing a Bb. I'd rather just transpose and know that I'm playing a Bb instead of a B, if you see what I mean :) .

Edited by ambient
  • Like 2

I dep for a band that have just started doing half the set in Eb.    Don’t ask me why they don’t drop them all - I asked and received a confused look.  

I just take two basses and swap (as do the guitarists).     

As long as you aren’t using thin string that will get a bit flappy it’s fine.   

13 minutes ago, ambient said:

It's just a change of key, so E would be Eb. I wouldn't down-tune I'd find to weird playing a B and hearing a Bb. I'd rather just transpose and know that I'm playing a Bb instead of a B, if you see what I mean :) .

Transposing will work for some stuff but rock tunes in E assuming you've got a 4 string will sound weak 

Do this in my Rock / Metal band and have done it quite a few times with various rock bands. Also tuned down for a Grunge style band that liked the sound of the deeper tone. They even had 7 string guitars. I ended up buying a 5 string because it was needed for them but they didn't last too long and i moved on to something more suited to me.

Dave

Been doing that for years. I only play on a originals band nowadays, but by the time the band was put together, i was also playing on a black sabbath tribute band and i tuned  half step down. So, i started composing all musics and bass lines this way. And yes, the guitar is standard ...7 string

3 hours ago, PawelG said:

Hendrix, SRV, Metallica to name a few.

I believe that most of the classic Metallica stuff (Black album, etc) is in concert pitch

3 hours ago, russtufella said:

I've just started to play a 5 string so I 'm not sure if would be best to tune down or transcrbe our set list.

If you are playing rock stuff you will probably find it better to tune down. 

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Eb? Good for me.

That's just one fret down on my bass.

Depends what you're playing mate - a lot of rock stuff depends heavily on bouncing off open strings (Slither by Velvet Revolver is a good example). 

A mate of mine (a good player) has ended up installing a d tuner to the E string of his 5 string Ray so that he can get the open drop D for a lot of the 90s alt metal / grunge stuff he plays. 

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

Depends what you're playing mate - a lot of rock stuff depends heavily on bouncing off open strings (Slither by Velvet Revolver is a good example).

I've just worked out Slither, in D, and works pretty well played down on the 3rd fret.

But I get your point that open strings can be a "get out of jail" card if you're playing with a riff mad guitarist.

6 hours ago, peteb said:

I believe that most of the classic Metallica stuff (Black album, etc) is in concert pitch

Yes, I didn’t mean they did it for all of their songs. I believe they tuned down for live performances, starting in the 90’s.

Yes some songs are half tone out and get put into an easy key for the players , in the bottom level covers band world , 2 good examples are Supersition and Sweet Child.

I think the OP here is talking about the singer changing it for their sake , potentially making it more awkward for the players , if transposing doesn't come easily on some songs ?

Band I just joined play two tunes requiring a low E flat every once in a while. I've been taking a second bass detuned to rehearsal and swapping out. However I've just decided I prefer my back up bass to be tuned the same as my number one in case of emergencies and I don't want to carry three to gigs so the low E flat is no more. It's not been an issue, only a couple of songs after all.