Why become a member? ×

Moog Model D iOS app

Quatschmacher

Reportedly, Moog weren't that happy with the Behringer Model D clone, and therefore decided to offer this app. Idunno, but version 1.0.1, which was released an hour or so ago, still seems slightly unfinished.

First impression is it does sound stellar though, so I'm very happy with it. 

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Reportedly, Moog weren't that happy with the Behringer Model D clone, and therefore decided to offer this app. Idunno, but version 1.0.1, which was released an hour or so ago, still seems slightly unfinished.

First impression is it does sound stellar though, so I'm very happy with it. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Well, if I can hook this thing up to a midi keyboard it might well remove the need for me to buy the Behringer D. Had this app come out a week ago I might not have bought a Subsequent 37!

It sounds cool. It could even double as way of storing representations of patches on a (preset-less) model D. Absolute bargain and loads of fun. I think I may have to buy myself a Keystep or other small controller for portable synth goodness. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

It could even double as way of storing representations of patches on a (preset-less) model D. 

That's a great idea! Hadn't thought of that, and I do plan to buy the Behringer clone anyway. Incidentally had 3.5K money units available recently and did see a Moog in stock here, but decided that love =/= sensible.

I'll try and hook up my MIDI keyboard tomorrow and see what happens. In case I do, I'll report back.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

That's a great idea! Hadn't thought of that, and I do plan to buy the Behringer clone anyway. Incidentally had 3.5K money units available recently and did see a Moog in stock here, but decided that love =/= sensible.

I'll try and hook up my MIDI keyboard tomorrow and see what happens. In case I do, I'll report back.

You can get the reissue for £3089 if you look around. But this is a much cheaper way in. 

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

And obviously what it wins on all counts from the hardware is that it is polyphonic

That, plus patch memories and an “undo” function! The looper is fun and you can overdub multiple layers. Time to program sone arpeggiated percussion and add bass etc.

29 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

I’m a total noob at iOS paraphernalia - what dongle do I need in order to hook up my keyboard?

Did you see that it does midi over Bluetooth?

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m a total noob at iOS paraphernalia - what dongle do I need in order to hook up my keyboard?

Did you see that it does midi over Bluetooth?

Since you haven't received an answer from someone in the know, I'll have a go.

This depends on the Apple unit and on the keyboard. From memory, so I may be wrong:

- if your keyboard only has a 5-pin DIN output, you need an adapter with electronics inside that do the translation. This is the more expensive option. Several brands do them, but I've never delved into the subject. I know YT vids exist on these.

- If your keyboard has a USB output for MIDI data, it's a piece of cake, and on older Apple gear you can use the USB-to-30pin adapter from the so-called Apple Camera Kit (which also contains an SD-card-to-30pin adapter), or in case of newer Apple gear you can use the USB-to-Lightning adapter that is sold separately - I seem to remember they call it Apple Camera Adapter, but am not sure. I gather cheaper alternatives exist but one gets the Apple versions for 20 or 30 quid.

No, I didn't see it does MIDI over Bluetooth. That's nice - - not that I have experience with it, mind. Personally, I try to avoid it, as in our situation, Bluetooth tends to interfere with our Wi-Fi, effectively making it impossible for one computer to be on the web whilst another unit uses Bluetooth.

13 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Done. Twas a doddle with my M-Audio Keystation. Connected keyboard, in Settings chose MIDI and a list of possible sources came up. Immediately after I chose "Keystation 49 Port 1" as the source, the thing responded to my key presses.

Nice detail was that moving the wheels or the volume knob on my Keystation resulted in movement of the corresponding Minimoog controls on the iPad screen. In some circumstances, visible feedback is good to have.

Haven't had time to check whether I can pipeline the output through effects apps and the like. I guess that'll work too.

19 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Done. Twas a doddle with my M-Audio Keystation. Connected keyboard, in Settings chose MIDI and a list of possible sources came up. Immediately after I chose "Keystation 49 Port 1" as the source, the thing responded to my key presses.

Nice detail was that moving the wheels or the volume knob on my Keystation resulted in movement of the corresponding Minimoog controls on the iPad screen. In some circumstances, visible feedback is good to have.

Haven't had time to check whether I can pipeline the output through effects apps and the like. I guess that'll work too.

Cool, in theory you should be able to map the knobs on your physical keyboard to knobs on the app. Perhaps I ought to get a Roland A800 or some such controller. 

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Cool

Quatschmacher, as an update to my earlier post about the paraphernalia, I've now read that one is advised to buy the original Apple adapters - as the cheap alternatives can be finicky or won't even work at all.

Also, there is also a camera adapter that has an input for a charger, at something like a tenner more. It's said to be a good investment, which I can imagine to be the case if one wants to play for some time. My guess is this is more important on iPhones than on iPads.

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

Also, there is also a camera adapter that has an input for a charger, at something like a tenner more. It's said to be a good investment, which I can imagine to be the case if one wants to play for some time. My guess is this is more important on iPhones than on iPads.

No, important on iPads, if you are using your iPad a sound source and running an X18 mixer display on it on a gig that is going on for 3 hours. It starts getting very dicey!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Thanks, I picked up one of those on my lunch break today, looking forward to checking it out later this evening.

On 27/03/2018 at 13:54, BassTractor said:

Well, at least Audiobus 2 accepts the Minimoog app as a sound source. My effects app has vanished, so I'll need do do some investigation. Don't even remember what it was called. At any rate, since Audiobus 2 accepts the Minimoog, it will work.

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I picked up one of those on my lunch break today, looking forward to checking it out later this evening.

Good stuff. I'd like to hear about your experience with it.

5 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Good stuff. I'd like to hear about your experience with it.

Was plug and play with my keyboard via usb and works really well. I got a bit of latency on one or two of the preset patches but wonder if that’s just down to my phone being an iPhone 6; I’m sure newer models will be faster due to better processors. Need to get a little portable midi keyboard now and I’ll be able to travel with it.

Polyphony seems to be 4 notes.

Tempted to check out the ARP ODYSSEi now too:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/arp-odyssei/id1147432809?mt=8

29 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Was plug and play with my keyboard via usb and works really well. I got a bit of latency on one or two of the preset patches but wonder if that’s just down to my phone being an iPhone 6; I’m sure newer models will be faster due to better processors. Need to get a little portable midi keyboard now and I’ll be able to travel with it.

Polyphony seems to be 4 notes.

Tempted to check out the ARP ODYSSEi now too:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/arp-odyssei/id1147432809?mt=8

Great, and thanks for reporting. I guess you're right about the iPhone 6, as I have no latency with my iPad at all.

Yes, polyphony is 4 notes, and if I understood correctly, can be switched on and off on a per preset basis. Have yet to check how polyphony and portamento work together in this app, but it's not an important aspect for me.

The Odyssei IMHO is bloody great, as are the other Korg apps. I own a hardware Korg Odyssey too, and use the app more than the physical one - though this may change when all my hardware gets a fixed place in a setup. That said, I read some comments about the Odyssei being less attractive on phones. It has a lot of sliders and switches for a little screen. Similarly, I tend not to use my Moog Model 15 app on my iPad due to how "large" it is. YMMV.

8 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Great, and thanks for reporting. I guess you're right about the iPhone 6, as I have no latency with my iPad at all.

Yes, polyphony is 4 notes, and if I understood correctly, can be switched on and off on a per preset basis. Have yet to check how polyphony and portamento work together in this app, but it's not an important aspect for me.

The Odyssei IMHO is bloody great, as are the other Korg apps. I own a hardware Korg Odyssey too, and use the app more than the physical one - though this may change when all my hardware gets a fixed place in a setup. That said, I read some comments about the Odyssei being less attractive on phones. It has a lot of sliders and switches for a little screen. Similarly, I tend not to use my Moog Model 15 app on my iPad due to how "large" it is. YMMV.

Scarbee recently made a smaller version of his EP-88S (Rhodes) available on the Korg platform. The original Kontakt Player instrument is brilliant and can be had for £50 sometimes as he often runs promotional offers. In fact he’ll probably do one over Easter so will be worth checking out. His bass plugins are amazing too. 

• Thanks 1