Why become a member? ×

Bean9seventy - the first UK funk / slap bassist?

Bean9seventy

12 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

booty is the stash , the cash , the groove crystallized into 3D 

So "booty" as in pirate's reward.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I've never fully understood the word the way Americans use it.  As has been noted above, you've got a unique writing style.  It would be fun to meet and chat for real.

I've not said before but great playing!  It is a shame more people don't get to hear it in real life but I understand you have issues that prevent it happening.

Nice touch that.  Putting the BC logo on one of your clips.  Laters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

So "booty" as in pirate's reward.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I've never fully understood the word the way Americans use it.  As has been noted above, you've got a unique writing style.  It would be fun to meet and chat for real.

I've not said before but great playing!  It is a shame more people don't get to hear it in real life but I understand you have issues that prevent it happening.

Nice touch that.  Putting the BC logo on one of your clips.  Laters.

i do my best to go to LBGS every year so yeah ,, i am available to be seen in the real world ,,

6 months to go , ;)

later ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tthiggins said:

I don't know what your going on about half the time either but you definitely got the funk I love your playing ...I might get a 'Bootsy space filter 'to help me translate 🤩

we live on a flat earth ,, flat , because there is no more funk , humps hills & mountains of funk ,

no mare valleys & oceans of funk ,

its all been snapped up by Sir Nose Illuminati , he replaced it all with plastic funk  , fake funk , cheap funk , flat no beat funk ,, you got to vote before you try it ,, then you are forced to buy it 

he is still looking for the stash & booty so he can wear it on the body & claim the crown of domination , before the funk ,

the never ending tale of this naked universe

, Pure , ;) 

thank you

Edited by Bean9seventy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tthiggins said:

I'll take that as a yes then 😁...

Was that one your own ?

yes ,i was slowly waking up on you tube as a player ,,

remembering ?, foot note # slades drummer many years ago was in a car crash & lost his memory ,,

after getting jumped on stage @ the jazz cafe i was finished as a performer & music ,, thus , i lost my memory over the years ,, as a player

so, 2008, i was remembering , knowing i could play like this years & years ago too,, in fact i was certain we created some of those moves on bass ,, ??

mark king confirmed it after my 1st LBGS ,, bash , but

i did this before way before i knew about the LBGS simply because i knew i used to play like this in the early 80s

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tthiggins said:

In your playing i think I hear more players like Louis Johnson, Nate Phillips, Marcus as well as the uk scene with Tubbs and those great britfunk players..I don't hear the MK thing so much ..would that be right ?

Also what happened at jazz cafe ?

correct i do not use MK side riffs i use heavier gauge strings Notes,, etc ,

1st, when i started doing jam sessions in the early 90s MK slapping was the Only thing not aloud ;)

2nd so , i grew out of / quit , getting into all the  paraphernalia  associated to MKs playing ,,because of it

what happened is, MK was reborn revived as a player in the social network revolution ,,eg when i 1st came on you tube 2007 ,, folks were rating MK, bass players were battling comparing etc ,,

i basically said they were Not good bass lines ,,they went crazy , so,  i did an upload where i was Singing ,,

one guy, reply now deleted , compared this jam to a Sting gig

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

correct i do not use MK side riffs i use heavier gauge strings Notes,, etc ,

Now there's a thing.

I have light gauge piano wound strings on my B2A.  The packet they came in was endorsed by MK.  I bought them in '88 after I returned to England to live once more.  They're still sounding good on the active, neck-through bass.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that one of the unique things about Mark's playing - the light guage strings?  Going from my other basses to that one, I have to make an effort not to bend strings unless intending to.

My other basses are strung with medium gauge.  I am practising double thumbing (early days) but only on the wider spaced four stringers; the B2A and the fretless Vantage.  If I want to single thumb and pop, I am not bothered what the string spacing is so much.

When I have tried the lighter MK type gauge string sets they did seem to make things easier to play but for me they lost some of the heavy funk and growl..

I think Victor Wooten uses quite light gauges.( 40 to 95 ) personally I prefer the 45 to 105 sets favoured by Marcus but I guess it all depends on what you want to do .

Now there's a thing.

I have light gauge piano wound strings on my B2A.  The packet they came in was endorsed by MK.  I bought them in '88 after I returned to England to live once more.  They're still sounding good on the active, neck-through bass.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that one of the unique things about Mark's playing - the light guage strings?  Going from my other basses to that one, I have to make an effort not to bend strings unless intending to.

My other basses are strung with medium gauge.  I am practising double thumbing (early days) but only on the wider spaced four stringers; the B2A and the fretless Vantage.  If I want to single thumb and pop, I am not bothered what the string spacing is so much.

yes ,, they even had bullet round wound strings many years ago ,, all brit funk players wanted fly dropping thin bright strings  ,, back then

it makes playing 100 times faster ,eg @ LBGS  had a go of a Status & you could slap it without using your right hand ,  ? was so well put together ,

however when it comes to one note Funk you need a bigger bass ,,

light basses do not have the capacity for full body etc ,,

MK  is very specialized music ,, its not pick up & go music ,

thanks

Now I am thinking you were attacked by Amy Winehouse after she'd been lurking long enough to hear that you played better than Mark Ronson...

That would be proper controversial.

no ,, they told her , what happened , all those smiling faces , she trusted ,

her main zone ,

her main song ,

well i live in camden town

and when we cant get "@=%6 "

we go to zone 1 & sit above a house from a man from a cross the water ,

its was know as ? Valerie's ,,