Why become a member? ×

Change from Vol/blend to Vol/Vol

LewisK1975

Hey all,

The blend knob on my US Fender Elite seems quite 'urgent', i.e., moving even the slightest bit away from the centre detente pretty much makes it go to either pickup solely.

It's more like a switch than a blend knob.  Could be a fault I suppose, but I'm thinking about seeing if it can be changed to a Vol/Vol instead.

Anyone ever done this?  I haven't had the scratchplate off yet but it's got a 18v 3 band switchable active circuit with a passive tone as well.

Anyone know how complex the wiring might be, or if it might be pretty straightforward? :scratch_one-s_head:

12 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

Hey all,

The blend knob on my US Fender Elite seems quite 'urgent', i.e., moving even the slightest bit away from the centre detente pretty much makes it go to either pickup solely.

It's more like a switch than a blend knob.  Could be a fault I suppose, but I'm thinking about seeing if it can be changed to a Vol/Vol instead.

Anyone ever done this?  I haven't had the scratchplate off yet but it's got a 18v 3 band switchable active circuit with a passive tone as well.

Anyone know how complex the wiring might be, or if it might be pretty straightforward? :scratch_one-s_head:

Is there anyone in your neck of the woods who can do repairs and rewiring? I've only ever owned one active bass, but I took it back to the shop after the treble control started behaving a bit like your blend knob (by the sound of things) - their tech gave me a call and said the treble circuit was basically shot, and he'd had to order a replacement.

Pity: if it were a passive circuit, switching from v/b to v/v would be pretty straightforward!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

Dave Dearnly in Cardiff if you want someone to do it Lew

https://www.yell.com/biz/dave-dearnaley-guitars-ltd-cardiff-8847632/

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Is there anyone in your neck of the woods who can do repairs and rewiring? I've only ever owned one active bass, but I took it back to the shop after the treble control started behaving a bit like your blend knob (by the sound of things) - their tech gave me a call and said the treble circuit was basically shot, and he'd had to order a replacement.

Pity: if it were a passive circuit, switching from v/b to v/v would be pretty straightforward!

Cheers Chaps, looking at it in the pic above, it's all bloody PCB mounted so I think it's best left alone haha, wouldn't think anyone'll touch it with a  barge pole!