Why become a member? ×

"How do you people sleep at night?"

AdrianP

whiskey

half a bottle during the gig, the other half to wind down. and lots of weed,  before and after :)

always works for me

oh I forgot to mention the sleeping pill, better taken AFTER the gig

on second thoughts, maybe it's just the pill that works

Edited by bazzbass

On 26/03/2018 at 10:41, rushbo said:

When I get home, I have a cup of tea, a couple of rounds of toast and I watch half an hour of poor quality TV -  normally "Family Guy"or some terrible expose of a hoarder.  Then it's off to the land of nod fairly swiftly. 

+1...that's pretty much me too!  Sometimes a glass of wine of the Mrs has left any that is

It always takes me a while to come down after a gig, a couple of hours perhaps. I don’t drink when I’m gigging and definitely not if I’m driving, which I usually am. So I normally have a couple of beers in the fridge waiting at home. Once the buzz fades away though the fatigue hits hard. (Our drummer apparently goes home, backs his car into his garage, leaves his stuff in the car and goes straight to bed, an ability of which I’m envious.)

Edited by BrunoBass

13 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

(Our drummer apparently goes home, backs his car into his garage, leaves his stuff in the car and goes straight to bed, an ability of which I’m envious.)

I'm jealous of anyone who can that too, our garage is so small I can't get my car in it (unless I climb out over the back seats and through the tailgate!).

I find it very hard to wind down for a few hours, I usually go to bed but don’t sleep. If I’m not driving I will have a couple of pints after the gig and that helps but if it’s a really good gig I can still be buzzing about it the next morning even.

I get home, have some toast/bagel, a cup of tea (or two) and sit and chill for a while. I sleep ok but my pathological hatred of pub toilets means I never drink enough (I don't drink alcohol). The risk is more waking up in the morning with a stinking headache. 

We all have our weirdnesses. 

Edited by thepurpleblob

2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

I get home, have some toast/bagel, a cup of tea (or two) and sit and chill for a while. I sleep ok but my pathological hatred of pub toilets means I never drink enough (I don't drink alcohol). The risk is more waking up in the morning with a stinking headache. 

We all have our weirdnesses. 

I don't think hating pub toilets can be classified as a weirdness. Sorry. You need to try harder to become a member of the weirdo club. We welcome you to apply again at a later date if you work on it a little more.

:P

I once played a gig in Kidderminster (we travelled from Scotland) at a music venue attached to a pub. There was accommodation on the first floor for us to stay. It was a room full of sofas and cushions and I decided not to assess their state of cleanliness (I stayed in my sleeping bag and avoided contact with my surroundings as much as possible). There was a toilet with a bath and shower... but there was a leak so we could not use it... so we needed to use the toilets in the pub downstairs. After a busy saturday evening before anybody attempted to clean. I *need* to brush my teeth before I sleep. That's just me. I'm not comfortable otherwise... that night I don't know how I managed. Wading through fosters to get to the dirty basins to brish my teeth was throughly disgusting. The smells were not better. If I ever make it into a big band... I'll have my own bathroom.

Got home from last night's gig at half four (200 miles each way), just brought the basses in and left the rest in the car as it was chucking it down. Had a glass of water and got to bed at half five, head still buzzing from a great gig plus the effort of staying alert for 200 miles of rain and sleet. Still alive this morning, so something went right!

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Got home from last night's gig at half four (200 miles each way), just brought the basses in and left the rest in the car as it was chucking it down. Had a glass of water and got to bed at half five, head still buzzing from a great gig plus the effort of staying alert for 200 miles of rain and sleet. Still alive this morning, so something went right!

400 mile round trip for one gig? That's true commitment. :)

4 minutes ago, discreet said:

400 mile round trip for one gig? That's true commitment. :)

I thought I was mad too, but if you heard this band playing, you'd do it too! Proper GD experience, I'm as knackered now as I was the last I rode a bike back from Finland and covered nearly 800 miles in a day then spent the night on a service station forecourt when the bastaard bike broke down. But this was much more enjoyable.

- Load van
- 30m to 2h00m travel to venue;
- Setup gear, PA
- Soundcheck
- Have dinner and a couple pints
- Play gig for almost 3h
- Wait for pub to start emptying whilst having another couple of pints
- Tear down stage gear
- Load van
- 30m to 2h00m back home
*plus, on fridays i get to do this after an 8h work day

Never had problems sleeping, too tired for thoughts.

Once i'm home i usually sit with a coffee and a bourbon or two to wind down. Think its more to do with the drive home as i get like that when i've had to drive for more than a couple of hours during the night. 

I find by the time i get home the gig adrenalin has usually worn of unless its an absolute blinder where everything went perfect and the audience were up for a great night. xD.

Dave 

On 3/27/2018 at 13:37, seashell said:

Anyway, I have found the solution - I'm retiring from work at the end of June! Hurrah! 

Decided to retire 2 yrs ago and its the best thing i ever did. Make sure you have things to do tho. You don't want to be a couch potato. You can only watch so much Loose Women, Judge Rinder and Jeremy Kyle in one year. xD

Enjoy your retirement and have fun. That's what life is all about.

Congrats

Dave

• Like 2

When I get home the van gets parked in the garage, I don't unload anything, I'm in bed within 5 mins and asleep within 6. Any "buzz" has usually subsided by the time my bass is back in its gig bag.