Why become a member? ×

Jaco only needed... what?!

PawelG

Personally, I couldn't care less how many strings he used. Yes, there is always the exception to any "rule". However, if you look at random photos of him, the vast majority show him playing a four. This IMO would render the .."he was generally a four string player.." statement valid. 

https://www.google.ie/search?q=photo+jaco+pastorius&client=safari&rls=en&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9hvHhyYnaAhUNr6QKHdF1CcYQsAQIMw&biw=1036&bih=625

I think it's quite widely known that Jaco played 5's in his spare time, never seen the top photo before, obviously the Warwick one is photoshopped.
But there are a few photos of him playing an acoustic 5 string bass, it was strung with a high C.

Si

It's a little like saying well stone-age man only needed...........:D.

He did the majority of his playing at a time when there were very few extended range instruments around. Five strings instruments were just starting to be accepted as a means to cover bass parts previously played on a keyboard.

Who knows what he'd have gone on to do?

16 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Yes because I don't think Pastorius ever played with Keith Moon. o.O

Haha, I missed that small detail!

Felix is playing a 6 fairly exclusively, and whilst he's a very different player, it does make you wonder what Jaco might have found his way to. My personal view is that he might not have gone any further than just using his Jazzes if he was still alive today, and probably thrown himself much more into composition and arrangement for other people.

I remember reading an article in Guitarist many years ago, the premise was that 'Hendrix was still alive', and so it was a faux article and rig rundown. It was just a fun article about what he might be upto musically, and what gear he might be using today. I think they came to the conclusion that he'd be using a Parker Fly guitar, amongst other more 'modern' choices (I think Morley was in their as a Wah choice). Odd, but fun.

Si

2 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Yes because I don't think Pastorius ever played with Keith Moon. o.O

I see what you mean but it's actually Peter Erskine. Stupid thread otherwise. Pretty sure that if Jaco had pulled through his troubles and were playing today, he'd be on a four.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

6e05de5a2fb3bed1c9dbbffaebc34c49--bass-g

Ha, that's a pretty good shop.

Whenever I hear people saying things like "Jeff Berlin / Victor Wooten / Jaco only need(ed) 4 strings" it does make me think that myself, the person saying it and an overwhelmingly huge majority of the musical community are not even 1/10th of the ability of those musical giants. And yes, they've all played 5s at one time or another.

When I see the deftness and ultimate fluidity of someone like Jeff Berlin, coupled with his incredible musical knowledge, I think I'll take any little extra help I can get xD

I am standing outside the gig with the drummer. I am smoking a roll-up and he has a small cigar.

Drummer says 'My mate's coming tonight, he's a bassist. Proper bassist, five strings, everything'.

I say 'Jaco only needed four strings'.

Drummer says 'Yes, Jaco only needed four, but you can't manage any more than four'.

I say 'It doesn't really matter how many strings'.

Drummer says 'Yes, that's true, you've either got it or you haven't, however many strings'.

His mate never turned up.

• Thanks 1