Why become a member? ×

Ownheart just joined

OwnHeart

Hailing from America.  Fretless, electric, upright and piccolo bass player of 25 year,s, but only serious in the last 6.  160 gigs over the last 6 years, band leader of four groups.  1/4 size upright advocate since it got me gigging fast, and able to upgrade to larger instrument if I wanted due to rapid develop of hand muscle strength.  Plus some boatloads of gigs. Primarily a jazz player, but play all styles. Business professor in my full time work at the time of this posting.

Could not find site rules as I blew through the terms of use.  If anyone can direct me to them, I would appreciate it so I don't inadvertently tread into waters that should not be treaded...

Video of me performing recently on various bass-related instruments.

Edited by OwnHeart

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Ownheart.

Site Rules

I've never heard of a 1/4 sized upright.  I can only imagine it to be a bit like an upright violin.  Got any photos?

The video above shows me playing one.  It looks just like a regular upright bass, but the scale length is 35". It is quieter than a full size 3/4 bass which has a typical scale length of 41".  You can use electric bass fingering if you want, and the time to gigging is way shorter than playing a 3/4. I recommend getting a 3/4 if you can swing it, and have the patience to get through the period when your body rejects it.  I am 5'3" with a really big stomache, so it was hard for me to get around on even a 1/2 size at first.  With the 1/4 I was out gigging with it regularly within about 3 months.   Now, I pick up a 1/2 size and its no problem. I see it as a transition instrument for helping you maintain motivation.  Gonna read those rules now. thanks for posting them.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, OH , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. Site rules..? See my signature...

(Very...) Nice video.

From OWNHEART -- Thanks -- glad you like the video work.  Appreciate the site rules.

Edited by OwnHeart