Why become a member? ×

Round core nickel roundwound strings - any cheaper alternatives to DR?

Wilco

So my Maruszczyk's have got DR Sunbeams on & I think they are superb strings.

They are expensive though - probably too much for my current SGC Nanyo BC (& another one which I have incoming shortly). Putting £40 - £50 strings on a £1k bass seems acceptable, but spending that on a £250 bass seems a bit OTT!

I think the round core of the Sunbeams is a factor of the feel I like, but literally every other nickel  round wound string I look at has a hex core.

Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to Sunbeams?

They are quite a bit more tension than Sunbeams IME. Not as well balanced too. Do sound good though!

I think standard Dunlop nickels are worth a shout. Very similar to Sunbeams IMO. Not quite as smooth as Sunbeams and a touch more tension. They are hexcore but due to the thin wire they use, bends are still really easy and string to string balance is quite nice as well.

IIRC an ex DR guy is now running the Dunlop string department. 

4 hours ago, Wilco said:

They are expensive though - probably too much for my current SGC Nanyo BC (& another one which I have incoming shortly). Putting £40 - £50 strings on a £1k bass seems acceptable, but spending that on a £250 bass seems a bit OTT!

I think the round core of the Sunbeams is a factor of the feel I like, but literally every other nickel  round wound string I look at has a hex core.

Or just buy them off this eBay seller. Which I have many times and had no problems with custom charges.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-NMLR-45-SUNBEAM-NICKEL-BASS-STRINGS-MED-LIGHT-GAUGE-4s-45-100/122957356084?epid=2255520033&hash=item1ca0d45c34:g:GEIAAOSwcdBWS40X

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Newtone strings, made in UK use round cores.   Prices seem to vary, about 25-30 on their website but I've seen them local to me for 15 a set.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm liking this option. A UK company too.

I can see a couple of Diamond sets being ordered shortly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wilco said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm liking this option. A UK company too.

I can see a couple of Diamond sets being ordered shortly.

Let us know how you get on with them. A studio close to me was/is selling 2 sets for £30 or £32 for 5 string. Only have nickel hex core though.  I've been meaning to try them but haven't been playing bass lately due to an injury.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

11 hours ago, Wilco said:

I don't understand what the price of the bass has got to do with the price of the strings... why would I put cheaper strings on a cheaper bass? (but I am also the guy who doesn't worry about adding a £150 preamp to a £40 bass... I really don't look at the relative values, just whether the total cost gives me something good and reasonable for the price).

Anyway... I feel your pain, as I'm a fan of DR fat Beams (and Sun Beams) and Labella white nylons, and they're all getting rather silly in price. I use each set of roundwounds for a year or a bit more... so it's not the end of the world, but I've also been looking at alternatives. One that keeps coming for the round core roundwounds I like is Newtone strings. They are around £28 per set. I haven't tried them myself, but the reviews look good.

If anyone has direct experience of similar DR / Newtone strings I'd love to hear.

7 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Or just buy them off this eBay seller. Which I have many times and had no problems with custom charges.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-NMLR-45-SUNBEAM-NICKEL-BASS-STRINGS-MED-LIGHT-GAUGE-4s-45-100/122957356084?epid=2255520033&hash=item1ca0d45c34:g:GEIAAOSwcdBWS40X

I've used that seller for various other bits and pieces, and I never got hit with custom charges... good call!

Edited by mcnach

4 hours ago, Wilco said:

I've ordered two sets of Diamonds - one 4 & one 5. Delivery time is up to 14 days, so might be a while before I can post what I think. 

Great! Please report back when you try them, and see what you think, in particular compared to Sunbeams :)

20 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I really don't look at the relative values, just whether the total cost gives me something good.

+1. I've got La Bella Through-Body flats on a bass that cost little more than twice the price of the strings. But they make that bass far more playable and better-sounding than it ever was with its stock strings.

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

I don't understand what the price of the bass has got to do with the price of the strings... why would I put cheaper strings on a cheaper bass? (but I am also the guy who doesn't worry about adding a £150 preamp to a £40 bass... I really don't look at the relative values, just whether the total cost gives me something good and reasonable for the price).

A good point, but the secondary reason to cost was that I still expect my Maruszczyk's to be my main gigging basses & the SGC's to be more rehearsal/ backup instruments. Seemed a bit extravagant to put £50 strings say on my 5 string SGC when it won't gig much.

I'm liking the look of the Newtone's though. Apparently also the strings on new ACG instruments. Hoping they do the biz & if so, will put them on the Maruszczyk's too!

1 hour ago, Wilco said:

A good point, but the secondary reason to cost was that I still expect my Maruszczyk's to be my main gigging basses & the SGC's to be more rehearsal/ backup instruments. Seemed a bit extravagant to put £50 strings say on my 5 string SGC when it won't gig much.

I'm liking the look of the Newtone's though. Apparently also the strings on new ACG instruments. Hoping they do the biz & if so, will put them on the Maruszczyk's too!

But then the strings will last soooooo long it won't even matter ;) 

(Not arguing with you, hey, we all have our preferences :) )

I'm really interested to hear what you think about the Newtones when you get them. I have heard nothing but great things about them and I like how they can pretty much produce any gauge you like. I'll have to buy a set and find out for myself, but I've just spent a mini fortune on 4 sets of DR Fat Beams and a couple of Labella white nylons... so I'll wait a bit :D  Meanwhile, I'll be all ears :)

• 2 weeks later...

Strings arrived this morning, so that's within the 14 day window promised when ordered (even taking into consideration the Easter bank hol)

Fingers crossed should get the SB321 restrung over this weekend.

25 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Strings arrived this morning, so that's within the 14 day window promised when ordered (even taking into consideration the Easter bank hol)

Fingers crossed should get the SB321 restrung over this weekend.

so, what do you think what do you think what do you think? :friends:

Ok - they're on!

The bass I put them on is recently new to me & previously had flatwounds on, so I can't really do a comparison.

Helpful video on the Newtone website with a tip of bending the round core strings at the right place before cutting.

They feel slightly 'tackier' compared to other nickelwounds I've played, but that could just be their newness. 

They feel good though & more importantly sound good too!

Obviously can't speak for their longevity yet, but if they last half the time as the DR's then no worries as they are half the price!

So far so good. A pic of the bass they are on;-

IMG_1931.JPG

Edited by Wilco
  • Like 1

I've just looked at the Newtone website in more detail & can now see that the Platinum strings have a finer outer core than the Diamond ones I bought. That might explain the slight 'tackiness' I mentioned above.

To be fair that is probably by design then, & I'll order Platinum next time to see the difference.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just an update on this thread. Have now got Newtone strings on three of my basses (with a set ready for the fourth when the strings on that need changing). Both Diamond & Platinum round core nickel types. 

Platinum’s are slightly smoother but not by much. Difficult to understand any tone difference between them as they are on instruments with different pickup configurations & electronics. All the basses sound epic though.

Am now a Newtone convert & these will be my string of choice from now on!

• Like 1