Why become a member? ×

I've been doing it all wrong it seems.

leschirons

On 25/03/2018 at 13:04, discreet said:

There seems to be some kind of weird 'honour' in playing very long sets. I say they're vastly overrated.I'd much rather watch a great band for 30 minutes than a mediocre one for two hours.

I have always thought that, and tried to say to my present band, but they insist that we do 2.5-3 hours. My wife used to come to see all the gigs, but she doesn't with this group, the gigs are too long.

55 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have always thought that, and tried to say to my present band, but they insist that we do 2.5-3 hours. My wife used to come to see all the gigs, but she doesn't with this group, the gigs are too long.

It's mad isn't It? I wouldn't want to watch even my favourite bands for 3 hours!

52 minutes ago, discreet said:

It's mad isn't It? I wouldn't want to watch even my favourite bands for 3 hours!

Have you ever been to a Bruce Springsteen gig? I've been to two, 3.5 - 4 hours full-on and I was rivetted to every minute.

49 minutes ago, discreet said:

Depends on the gig. If you are playing a 'music' pub where people have come to see the band then I reckon that more than two 45 / 60 (at a push) minute sets is excessive and you will struggle to keep the audience's attention. If the gig is at a place where there is a circuit of bars, the band's job is to keep the punter there for an additional drink or two before they go on to the next bar. At those type of places they will want the band on for as long as possible to catch the punters who have just come in, who are not expected to stay for the whole show. 

5 minutes ago, josie said:

Have you ever been to a Bruce Springsteen gig? I've been to two, 3.5 - 4 hours full-on and I was rivetted to every minute.

To be honest I did see Elvis Costello and the Attractions at Glastonbury once - they played for more than three hours and were highly entertaining - so there are exceptions... ;)

19 minutes ago, josie said:

Doubt I could make the first half an hour on that one!

I have been to some big group gigs that have been long and been happy, last weeks steve wilson was 2.5 hours, jethro tull normally went to about 3 hours, I am sure pink floyd back in the day were that sort of time too, but they weren't in pubs playing covers!

1 hour ago, discreet said:

The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm, 1968. Double headline acts: The Doors and Jefferson Airplane. 8 in the evening until 8 the next morning, two nights in a row. The Doors, then JA, then JA, followed by The Doors. Reverse order the second evening. Interludes from Terry Reid and Blossom Toes. I spent most of the evening with a French girl on my lap, but didn't even think to get her name. :$
I walked home from there to Bedfont (twenty-odd miles or so...). My feet didn't touch the ground. Brilliant show; lights 'n all. Happy Daze.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm, 1968. Double headline acts: The Doors and Jefferson Airplane. 8 in the evening until 8 the next morning, two nights in a row. The Doors, then JA, then JA, followed by The Doors. Reverse order the second evening. Interludes from Terry Reid and Blossom Toes. I spent most of the evening with a French girl on my lap, but didn't even think to get her name. :$
I walked home from there to Bedfont. My feet didn't touch the ground. Brilliant show; lights 'n all. Happy Daze.

I'm guessing that marathon may just have been 'chemically assisted'..? :crazy:

10 minutes ago, discreet said:

I'm guessing that marathon may just have been 'chemically assisted'..? :crazy:

Well, no, actually..! At that time I was completely unaware that 'stuff' even existed..! Sheltered childhood..? One could say so. Later on, I came into contact with dealings of the sort, but I never let it go to my head. Well, not much, at any rate. Not as much as some of my chums (and family, as it happens...). A couple of visits to mates being held for their own safety, too many deaths for various reasons related to such, a nephew born handicapped... It puts one off rather quickly, I found. Staid..? Yup. Fuddy-duddy..? Rather. Anarchist, so others have to take their own responsibility; I won't condemn, but it's not something I'd recommend to anyone, neither at the time nor in hindsight. T'was a splendid week-end, anyway, with no need of artificial aid. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1