Why become a member? ×

What Should I Replace My Wal With

datainadequate

11 hours ago, three said:

To start, I’ll admit I’m not a massive Wal fan. I’ve played loads and owned two customs (‘90s and Herman period). I like the thought of them more than the reality but don’t have the emotional tie - for me, Wals have been somewhat mythologised (though I don’t doubt that for some owners they are truly the ultimate bass). I’d have a look at a Spector Shorty. Relatively light, outstanding ergonomics and playability, and build quality to rival pretty much any boutique bolt-on (including Wal). A variety of pick up and pre combinations too. Wals do have a distinctive tone with their in-house pickups and filter pre though there are ways to emulate this (at least get close) if Wal tone is crucial - Alembic SF2?

The Spector Shorty or the new Spector Bantam are now firmly on my radar. I did try a Spector NS-1 some years ago, lovely bass but at the time it was way over my budget. Was seriously considering the, er, similarly contoured Warwick Streamer for a while too.

1 hour ago, datainadequate said:

The Spector Shorty or the new Spector Bantam are now firmly on my radar. I did try a Spector NS-1 some years ago, lovely bass but at the time it was way over my budget. Was seriously considering the, er, similarly contoured Warwick Streamer for a while too.

What is your budget?

Pending that, if the Wal just feels right and literally the only thing is the weight, then as mentioned before, simply talk to Wal about a lighter weight bass. I’m sure they can choose the appropriate woods and maybe even chamber to get it to where you want it.

If that’s not near your budget, then you have a whole world of basses to consider, with everyone here having different recommendations. In that case, I would recommend a day trip to London and some time spent at Wunjos and Bass Gallery to see what you like.

I would of course mention Bass Direct, but they’re even more north.

Si

Edited by Sibob

11 hours ago, datainadequate said:

I'm near Falmouth, Cornwall. Suspect you'll be recommending I go at least as far as Exeter ;)

We are a little strapped for choice down there eh...

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses-for-sale/ This guy is happy for visits when I spoke to him last, and you could do worse than getting a Limelight. I was seriously considering one for a while, but went cheap in the end. Otherwise... London xD

Is yours the red one on MM by the way...?

Edit - Sorry, and in response to your question...! If you are only using a neck pickup with medium Tone, it sounds like you want a Precision.

Edited by ben4343
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If the weight is the main downside of the Wal, have you thought about having a lighter chambered body made for it?

I'd be a little careful about that. When I had my MK1 built I asked Paul to try cut down on weight and he mentioned that it's harder on the MK1's before the balance and sound is effected. He ended up using the lightest core wood he thought would give the best results. Also the more modern MK 1's are made with slightly lighter tuners, it all counts.The MK2 and 3's can be made a lot lighter he said.

I haven't weighed my Wal, but it's no heavier than your average Fender and I don't mean some of the 70's versions. Definitely no boat anchor.

So that is worth checking out as well.

I had a bass built by Bernie Goodfellow with the primary spec that it had to be light - it certainly meets that spec and balances perfectly. Sound wise, it's certainly in the more versatile camp when it comes to bass tones. If you want something a bit different then you could do a far worse!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/03/2018 at 11:21, neilp said:

The only bass I like as much as my Wal (Custom Fretless) is my Aria SB1000 fretted. Totally different animal, but equally rewarding to play

Hardly trading a boat anchor for a featherweight though... my SB700 weighs pretty much the same as my Wal!

PS Keep the Wal!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ben4343 said:

We are a little strapped for choice down there eh...

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses-for-sale/ This guy is happy for visits when I spoke to him last, and you could do worse than getting a Limelight. I was seriously considering one for a while, but went cheap in the end. Otherwise... London xD

Is yours the red one on MM by the way...?

Edit - Sorry, and in response to your question...! If you are only using a neck pickup with medium Tone, it sounds like you want a Precision.

We are a bit, but good to know about options over Devon way. :)

And yes, looks like you've spotted the beast on MM.

20 hours ago, Sibob said:

What is your budget?

Pending that, if the Wal just feels right and literally the only thing is the weight, then as mentioned before, simply talk to Wal about a lighter weight bass. I’m sure they can choose the appropriate woods and maybe even chamber to get it to where you want it.

If that’s not near your budget, then you have a whole world of basses to consider, with everyone here having different recommendations. In that case, I would recommend a day trip to London and some time spent at Wunjos and Bass Gallery to see what you like.

I would of course mention Bass Direct, but they’re even more north.

Si

Haven't decided on a budget, but the top end will be limited by how much I could get for a 2nd-hand Wal ;)

I don't think that's going to stretch to a new made-to-measure Wal Superlight, as much as that would suit me sir.

Eventually I will be doing a trip to London to see family, so if I haven't been distracted by more local pretty instruments by then, off to Bass Gallery and Wunjo I shall go. Might even decide it's time to go and visit my old friends in Andertons-ville, er, Guildford.

9 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Hardly trading a boat anchor for a featherweight though... my SB700 weighs pretty much the same as my Wal!

PS Keep the Wal!

Very true, they're both fairly heavy. Maybe buy a nice wide strap and keep the Wal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, datainadequate said:

Haven't decided on a budget, but the top end will be limited by how much I could get for a 2nd-hand Wal ;)

I don't think that's going to stretch to a new made-to-measure Wal Superlight, as much as that would suit me sir.

Eventually I will be doing a trip to London to see family, so if I haven't been distracted by more local pretty instruments by then, off to Bass Gallery and Wunjo I shall go. Might even decide it's time to go and visit my old friends in Andertons-ville, er, Guildford.

If you did sell your Wal (and think long and hard) it should pay for a custom Sei Bass, or an ACG, Everson (2 Eversons!) or maybe a GB (forgive me if I've forgotten anyone), even if it won't pay for a Custom Wal. And if my experience is anything to go by, you may find you like the new bass better, or at least as much. Although, of course, you may not. xD 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I sold my Status series II that I had bought new in 1986. Not quite in the same league (price-wise, at least) as your Wal, but still a pretty expensive bass. It was the usual story - the band I was in at the time didn't suit the Status's tone (and looks) and I wanted to free up some cash to try other brands...

Now, I find myself in a 1980s covers band that cries out for a Status, but of course I can't afford to replace it with another.:dash1:

Buy a cheap(ish) P bass and keep the Wal!:)

• Like 2

If you like filter based basses like the wal, alembic would have been a good choice but the models with filters are quite heavy which is something  you are trying to avoid. Like was mentioned above, the ACG filter based basses would be good alternative and the weight is a comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like many others before me on this thread, I would recommend thinking long and hard before parting with your Wal.

I long for a Wal every time I hear Alan Spenner playing Roxy Music. Takes me right back to those days!

If you fancy trying something a bit different from what you already have, what about a used Yamaha BB2024 or 2024X? I have seen them for sale at very reasonable prices on Basschat, and in my opinion they are instruments of the highest order ( I own both). They are similar to a Wal in so much as they have a very strong and consistent midrange tone, although both basses have a distinctly unique sound all of their own.If weight is a priority, the 2024 is significantly lighter than the X version.

• Thanks 1

I think a "nice thick padded strap" has already been suggested - but how about trying a "harness" style strap, which distributes the weight across two shoulders?

For example, the Gruvgear "Damian Erskine" might be one option :)

Edit: Saw you've sold the Wal - what a beautiful specimen... from my birthyear too. I'm sad to see it's already sold (though my wallet may be happy about that...) 

Do let us know what you end up deciding to replace it with!

Edited by kumimajava
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 15:59, TheGreek said:

Sounds like it's mainly a weight issue.

Alan at ACG can build you a bass with his P/ups and John East Pre-amps (or any other available on the market) in a lightweight bass. I'd highly recommend the SimS pick up system which is fitted to Enfield basses ( would also recommend these but I'm not sure on the weight) - check the videos on YT.

If you're considering custom, Andyjr1515 and JabbatheGut of this manor could both build basses to your spec and design. Check the build thread. 

I agree with all the above. I would definitely investigate the custom-made lightweight option. Talk to Jon Shuker... his carbonlite basses are awesome.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1