Why become a member? ×

What Should I Replace My Wal With

datainadequate

After 18 years of happy Wal Custom (Mk I, 4-string, fretted) ownership, I'm seriously considering a change. I still love the Wal, but my bad back isn't getting any better and the Wal isn't getting any lighter. Also, the music I'm playing these days doesn't need that fabulous Wal sound. Mostly I end up with neck pickup only, all switches off, tone rolled off to 7. Maybe a nice, light, passive bass would suit me better right now. I might even contemplate something with a short-scale.

But the Wal has always felt "just right". Dunno what combination of neck shape, fretboard radius, body shape, etc. it is, but the Wal feels "right" to me, and many other fine basses don't. So I call upon the wisdom and experience of BassChat. All you who have bonded with a Wal, what other basses also work for you? If I do go ahead and sell my Wal, what do you recommend I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

John

At some point in the mid 90s I was fed up with my Wal and tried to sell it. Luckily nobody bought it, so it stayed with me, sitting unused in the corner. Three years and a Musicman and Precision later I rediscovered the Wal and play it as my main bass ever since. 

So my advice is that if you think everything feels right with your Wal then go cheating, but keep it. 

Edited by jensenmann
  • Like 4

To start, I’ll admit I’m not a massive Wal fan. I’ve played loads and owned two customs (‘90s and Herman period). I like the thought of them more than the reality but don’t have the emotional tie - for me, Wals have been somewhat mythologised (though I don’t doubt that for some owners they are truly the ultimate bass). I’d have a look at a Spector Shorty. Relatively light, outstanding ergonomics and playability, and build quality to rival pretty much any boutique bolt-on (including Wal). A variety of pick up and pre combinations too. Wals do have a distinctive tone with their in-house pickups and filter pre though there are ways to emulate this (at least get close) if Wal tone is crucial - Alembic SF2?

Edited by three
  • Thanks 1

I've played Wals for 30 years. In that time I also owned a few Warwicks which I didn't get on with.

I recently bought an MTD Kingston KZ6 and haven't played my Wal since. In fact the Wal is not up for sale.

I'm not suggesting the Kingston is similar to the Wal as it is a very different beast but I am really enjoying playing it.

• Like 1

I think the point is that there are a LOT of options open to you, largely people will comment here on what good experiences they've had, and what basses they like. Without knowing what you do and don't like about your Wal, or at the least, what you're interested in trying (oh I fancy a 4 string or a 6 string), it's a little difficult to offer any advice that isn't pretty vague. Knowing a budget would also help.

Si

• Like 1

Considering your tone setting on the wal (neck 100%, tone 7) is the same setting that I use to emulate a P-Bass, I'd say a Fender P-Bass of sorts will do. There are some really light weight p basses out there, mine is just 3.8 kg. You can get really good ones cheap, so I can only second the others...

keep the Wal. You'd regret selling it.

• Like 1

As a former Wal owner, and given how you're using your Wal at the minute, I'd agree with the P-bass suggestions. A nice classic 50's or Roadworn P. I'd keep the Wal though - tastes and requirements change!

• Like 2

Sounds like it's mainly a weight issue.

Alan at ACG can build you a bass with his P/ups and John East Pre-amps (or any other available on the market) in a lightweight bass. I'd highly recommend the SimS pick up system which is fitted to Enfield basses ( would also recommend these but I'm not sure on the weight) - check the videos on YT.

If you're considering custom, Andyjr1515 and JabbatheGut of this manor could both build basses to your spec and design. Check the build thread. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Sounds like it's mainly a weight issue.

Alan at ACG can build you a bass with his P/ups and John East Pre-amps (or any other available on the market) in a lightweight bass. I'd highly recommend the SimS pick up system which is fitted to Enfield basses ( would also recommend these but I'm not sure on the weight) - check the videos on YT.

If you're considering custom, Andyjr1515 and JabbatheGut of this manor could both build basses to your spec and design. Check the build thread. 

Yes, I had an Enfield for a while with the Simms pickups, they are lightweight and play nicely, one thing I didn't like about mine was that the batteries would go pretty quickly (within 2 months for me with a fair bit of playing) not a huge problem but it bugged me.

• Thanks 1

I'd be extremly cautious to sell a bass that has been owned for so long and fits so well. 

As said above, try as many basses as you can. Or, if finances permit, keep the Wal and set aside a grand or two and go through a couple of used basses one after another. If you buy and sell wisely it may no cost you much in losses but lets you have a lot deeper experience with a number of basses than a casual music store visit can reveal. If you choose to stay with the Wal after all, this above is merely a cash flow question (if, again, finances permit) If you find another holy grail in the process, you can sell the Wal and free up funds in the end. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 15:29, Sibob said:

Would be helpful to know what you like about the Wal and (and be brutal here, no rose-tinted specs) what you don’t like.

Si

What I really don't like is the weight. And the fear of it getting damaged.

What I like most is the comfortable feel of the whole instrument.

Lots of other things to like: great sounds, quiet electronics, beautiful woods, fantastic craftsmanship. But the "it just feels right" was what sold me.