Why become a member? ×

Mark King & the 'new' Status T-Bass?

lowregisterhead

I glimpsed a pic in Twitter (which I can't find now, of course) of Mark King doing a Level 42 gig very recently sporting one of the new Status T-Basses. They're on the Status website, but with not much detail, or any prices yet.

Anyone seen one?

Edit:

Turns out it was Instagram, and the pic was posted by Mike Lindup. I was close!

Edited by lowregisterhead

23 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

The Status T-Bass has been reissued for about 10 years. This isn't anything new. At least it's better than cranking out a TENTH version of the kingbass.

Yeah, I loved the way my kingbass sounded, but never got on with the shape.

a more traditional “Fender” sized bass suits me and my fussy shoulders/back.

2 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

The Status T-Bass has been reissued for about 10 years. This isn't anything new. At least it's better than cranking out a TENTH version of the kingbass.

I didn’t realise that. There doesn’t seem to be any mention of it on the price list - is a special order thing?

6 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

I didn’t realise that. There doesn’t seem to be any mention of it on the price list - is a special order thing?

It never used to be a special order. If one were being cynical, I would say it's been removed so they can give it a revised price after the latest Mark King pimping. 

3 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Just interested, but didn't Lodestone do this type of headstock. ? Or did Status get there first. Its such a great design, but im sure more costly. 

b5e1cd1c5c4e37a0339e6ef90b56bac1.jpg

Yeah, Mark Gooday of Ashdown (and previously Trace Elliot) was involved with both basses.

I’m pretty certain an agreement was made that the T-Bass could return as a Status if the Ashdown basses (lodestone) could feature Rob Green’s ETS headstock design.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spectoremg said:

I remember the TE basses. I guess Mark just wants a change. Perish the thought that he'd want a bit more financial mileage out of Status :S

Or Status want more mileage out of him! "Come on Mark, nobody wants your Kingbass things these days, you have to do a tour with this or it's over, ok?!"

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s got its own page in the basses section - if I recall it isn’t a cheap item...

47C865B7-6264-4EC7-A4FB-2AA43548D5F7.png

Yeah, I saw that. I visit the Status website from time to time, but I just don't remember seeing it before.  I'm just interested in trying one, but more importantly, finding out how much they are, and if it's within my limited budget! Somehow I doubt it, but I can but hope. The J-type pickup configuration is more up my street, as I've owned a few Statuses (Statii?) over the years, and never really got on with the Hyperactives. I had a Series 5000 once with jazz-type pickups, and it sounded fantastic, but the string spacing was ridiculously narrow. I assume most of Rob's 5s are 18mm spacing now unless you want it narrower. I'd like 19mm, but that's probably asking too much!

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Or Status want more mileage out of him! "Come on Mark, nobody wants your Kingbass things these days, you have to do a tour with this or it's over, ok?!"

Possible, but unlikely I would think... unless sales of Chis Wolstenholme's and Alex Venturella's signature models have left the Kingbass a distant 3rd place. When I think Status, I immediately think Mark King, but then I'm getting on a bit! xD

I'm doing a few 80's festivals over the summer, but I don't think Level 42 are on any of them this year. If they were, I could ask him. Politely...

13 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

It never used to be a special order. If one were being cynical, I would say it's been removed so they can give it a revised price after the latest Mark King pimping. 

I just found a reference to 'the new graphite necked T-Bass' on this very forum from 2009, so I stand corrected. I don't know how I missed that. Probably still can't afford one though!