Why become a member? ×

Will 2x8 cab handle pub gig for rock band?

Ajoten

3 hours ago, Ajoten said:

@Chris_b, I note your cautionary italics re good quality cab. Anything to avoid? 

We did a bass cab shoot out a few years ago at the bass bash in Addlestone and out of the ten or so cabs I could have gigged with any of them.

If I told you what I would avoid there would be a dozen posts telling you why they were the best cabs in the world! So I'll stick with telling you, in the last 10 years I've used Bergantino and Barefaced and I would recommend either to anyone. With the best one cab solution being a Barefaced.

Where are you?

14 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Aaargh! Could do without all the music shops round closing down.

Feel I asked the wrong question to start with, really. My current amp, a 1999 Trace 15" 150W (I think) combo is 61x61 front on, but sounds beautiful and been brilliant at unPAed gigs. I'm really nervous of changing it tbh, given criticisms/inadequacies I read of alternatives. (But the garage is being converted to a little living room etc etc etc...)

trace-elliot-715-smc-gp7-917557.jpg

I don't think you should be getting rid of this at all. 

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

We did a bass cab shoot out a few years ago at the bass bash in Addlestone and out of the ten or so cabs I could have gigged with any of them.

If I told you what I would avoid there would be a dozen posts telling you why they were the best cabs in the world! So I'll stick with telling you, in the last 10 years I've used Bergantino and Barefaced and I would recommend either to anyone. With the best one cab solution being a Barefaced.

Where are you?

And what was really interesting on that one Chris was those cheap Maplin PA cabs that were brought along. About a tenth (maybe twentieth) of the price of some of the cabs there, yet sounded very nice in comparison to their wealthier cousins.

1 hour ago, Ajoten said:

Trace. I bypass the graphic, leave pre-shape off, ignore compressor, and it nails it. 

A smart dust cover and table it can neatly slip under might work...

So basically everything set to flat on the amp 😀

Yeah I'd try the smart dust cover and suitable table thing first, if it were me.

On 27/03/2018 at 08:00, RandomBass said:

I don't think you should be getting rid of this at all. 

+1 If weight isn't the issue then you're going to be spending a lot of money to find something smaller that outperforms what you already have. 

In the real world,  any modern combo isn't going to be much less in size than that trace... maybe a couple of inches at best.

Your missus is not going to notice a couple of inches, is she. ?  Matron

Edited by fleabag

On 3/29/2018 at 14:12, mrtcat said:

+1 If weight isn't the issue then you're going to be spending a lot of money to find something smaller that outperforms what you already have. 

Or spending a lot of money finding something that doesn't outperform what you already have.