Why become a member? ×

Etiquette involved using someone else's rig at a gig ?

Les

Not something I've had to do a lot.

Doing a charity and there are 3 bands on the bill, all cover bands.

We're on first and the last bands bass player has said it's ok to use his rig to save logistical hassle. I don't actually know him but know his singer well and he's squared this for me.

Obviously I'll buy him a pint and thank him and I've a pretty good idea of what would not be acceptable to do but what is generally ok ? ie altering settings if need be.

Have to say if we were on last I'd have no problems with the other bass players using my rig and to be honest I'm not fussy so if it sounds remotely like a bass guitar I won't even touch his amp.

I know this is a regular thing for some on here but most of the stories that make it to the forum are the horror type. I'm just hoping not to be "that guy".

4 hours ago, casapete said:

If you need to adjust the settings, take a pic of theirs first so you can restore them after you’ve been on.

( Obviously check with them first to make sure that’s okay.)

sage advice right there :)

maybe help him schlepp it before and after the gig?

Edited by bazzbass

My rig is used as the back line of a jam night. Most of the guys are not familiar with my gear and might not get the sound they need, so I set them up, ask them what they want and make the changes for them, until they are happy. More importantly, I've managed to stop a few doing things that might damage my gear!

Get the bass player to stand with you when you make your changes so he's comfortable with what you're doing.

It's polite to ask the guy if you need to change anything. You don't always get the chance, though. I've been the gear lender before and, while I've never actually had anything broken, I've come back to ridiculous levels of reconfiguration. 

Just be reasonable... make the minimum changes you need and don't starting plugging and unplugging stuff. You're only the bass player ;-)

If you help the guy load it in then you can chat and gauge whats acceptable. Just be generally respectful (it sounds like you naturally are anyway) and if you adjust anything change it back when you're done. Don't put a drink on top or lean anything against it. Say thanks and, regardless of how it sounds, compliment him on a nice rig. If possible hang around and watch their set.

• Like 1

Do the thing with the lead where it goes underneath a foot of the head or a handle. I once lent my rig to the support band, who played away merrily until the very last note, where he stood on the lead, snapped the input jack and left me rigless, 150 Miles from home. Pre PA support for that type of gig as well.

Don’t leave a pint on top. Someone’s done this on my rig before while laying their set, and I got a bit angry and got fired from the gig afterwards. But even now I’m still more upset that someone didn’t care enough about another bass player that he left a pint on my rig!!! 

Make sure you ask the guy what is and isn't ok, even if it's a minor thing like pressing the EQ disengage button. In this scenario I would eq from my pedal board and disengage the amp eq if it could be done. But if you've asked first then the guy knows how to correct things if you don't put it back exactly as you found it.

• Like 1

A photo of the previous settings is always a good idea. Just a quick chat with the bloke if you're okay to change the amp settings but you should be alright.

I've had a few horror stories with amps before, let alone people putting pints on top. One time, a guy placed his bass on top of my Shuttle head! 

I once did a pub gig where I had no choice but to use the main act's bass rig. I was told in no uncertain terms not to touch the settings at all which I wouldn't have minded as much if it hadn't been a Hiwatt amp with a grand total of 5 controls!

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Don’t leave a pint on top. Someone’s done this on my rig before while laying their set, and I got a bit angry and got fired from the gig afterwards. But even now I’m still more upset that someone didn’t care enough about another bass player that he left a pint on my rig!!! 

This happened at the very first gig with my new Genz rig just days after collecting it from Bass Direct! Grrr

just have a chat first thanking him and asking if it's ok to alter the controls, thank him again afterwards, no need to go over the top, he's already said it's ok for others to use his rig after all.

I once had the feeling that the main band wanted to use my rig (they obviously hadn't got one) but nobody bothered asking me so I took it off stage after our set, he soon came up asking very politely if he could use my amp

• Like 1

Thanks all, the photo thing is a great idea. 

There is no chance of me putting a pint on top of any amp, in this life or the next. Sadly I know this is a thing as I've seen it done.

It's an afternoon set up so I'll be able to meet the guy and get it sorted in advance.

14 hours ago, Les said:

Not something I've had to do a lot.

Doing a charity and there are 3 bands on the bill, all cover bands.

We're on first and the last bands bass player has said it's ok to use his rig to save logistical hassle. I don't actually know him but know his singer well and he's squared this for me.

Obviously I'll buy him a pint and thank him and I've a pretty good idea of what would not be acceptable to do but what is generally ok ? ie altering settings if need be.

Have to say if we were on last I'd have no problems with the other bass players using my rig and to be honest I'm not fussy so if it sounds remotely like a bass guitar I won't even touch his amp.

I know this is a regular thing for some on here but most of the stories that make it to the forum are the horror type. I'm just hoping not to be "that guy".

There's no hard rule, I think. Just talk to the guy and see. Most people are ok with you adjusting as you need to. When I lend, I take a picture of the settings after my soundcheck and let them do their thing. Most people like to be thanked. Sometimes I don't have a clue whose equipment is, it could be hired, or belong to an organiser... but whenever I can find out I make sure I thank them. 

I generally prefer to use my own stuff, and even in multiband situations it's easily achievable: my gear doesn't take that much space and gets set up faster than the drummer puts all his cymbals on... so I don't see the reason for the widespread "to save hassle, use this amp" situation, in fact if you ask you normally end up with an ok. But sometimes I used whatever's provided... a thank you is always nice. And if you end up hating the amp (it happens ;) ) it's not necessary to tell them that. I heard of some guys walking in with their bass, play and go, no more hassle... yet they were moaning later about their amplifier is much better: then bring it and use it, you lazy git. :D

7 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

oh yes.

drinks onstage in general annoy me... I can't force others but I establish a no-drinks boundary around my gear. Yes, I do drink... but I make sure I keep my bottle out of the way and safe... 

If someone puts a drink on my amp that I lend, I go over and remove it, even if it's in the middle of a song. I try to do it firmly with with a friendly attitude. The message gets through easily. I never encountered anybody who'd antagonise me about it, but if they did I'd unplug them without hesitation: I can't think of any gig I've played where I'd end up suffering any serious repercusions for doing that. Sound guys tend to be very understanding as they suffer that stuff constantly, and it takes 10 seconds to plug their bass directly into a DI box. 

Bottomline: be respectful and careful with other people's gear

6 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I once did a pub gig where I had no choice but to use the main act's bass rig. I was told in no uncertain terms not to touch the settings at all which I wouldn't have minded as much if it hadn't been a Hiwatt amp with a grand total of 5 controls!

I forgot... also, if I use somebody's amp I like to return the settings to whatever it was before I used it.

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I forgot... also, if I use somebody's amp I like to return the settings to whatever it was before I used it.

I was happy to do the same, and remembered them quite easily. (I may have made the odd adjustment when no-one was looking!) 

U sound like the type of guy I'd lend my gear to without a worry but if the comms does go squiffy this would be my thought.

a, Don't crank the bass past 12.00

b, Don't crank the volume at all.

Your then free to fiddle with the rest of the eq all night long, no harm done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

...drinks onstage in general annoy me... I can't force others but I establish a no-drinks boundary around my gear.

Me too. Makes it look like the band are such alkies that they can't wait until they've finished their set before they have a drink. 9_9 I'll take water onstage because I need it, but I'm always very careful where it goes (i.e. in my gob).

Edited by discreet

8 minutes ago, oldbass said:

U sound like the type of guy I'd lend my gear to without a worry but if the comms does go squiffy this would be my thought.

a, Don't crank the bass past 12.00

b, Don't crank the volume at all.

+1 The few times I've allowed people to use my rig the first thing they did was whack everything up to eleven. Thus demonstrating a lack of intelligence and a lack of regard for other people's kit that was so profound that I now won't lend my gear to anyone under any circumstances. Nope!

6 hours ago, Les said:

It's an afternoon set up so I'll be able to meet the guy and get it sorted in advance.

Best way ! A quick chat, hearty handshake and the offer of a drink by way of thanks.

I try not to touch any settings, even if I'm told I can - the minimal hassle for the owner when they take the stage later on is part of the thank you for the loan of the gear.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, discreet said:

Me too. Makes it look like the band are such alkies that they can't wait until they've finished their set before they have a drink. 9_9 I'll take water onstage because I need it, but I'm always very careful where it goes (i.e. in my gob).

Oh dear. One beer and you're an alcoholic now.