Why become a member? ×

Yes at 50 - Warning: Prog and Spector content

ead

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Are there any good examples of bands that are several incarnations away from the initial line up and key members are missing and it works?

Blue

IMO all versions of Deep Purple up to and including the mark IV version with Tommy Bolin...! 

Saw the current incarnation of Dr Feelgood last year - none of the original members - first time I'd seen them, so can't compare, but it was a very good gig.

Also saw Fairport Convention on their 50th anniversary tour last year. Nothing can replace Swarbrick, but again an excellent gig - with Peggy on a 5-string fan-fret Ibanez, the only time I've seen anyone gigging a fan-fret! He is awesomely versatile - one song he'll be holding down a simple classic bassline, the next he'll be playing the melody, with fiddle and mandolin shimmering over the top.

Edited by josie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry not "Yes" related. Posting this as this thread seems to have migrated to band line up discussions.  So,

on Nile Rodgers Facebook page:  

A quick respectful note about CHIC for those whom don't seem to understand our concept, which has been the same since it's inception. I think I had too many cups of coffee this morning.

The CHIC Organization was the vessel created by Bernard Edwards and myself to perform our compositions. Think jazz groups or orchestras. When players move on or pass away, the NY Philharmonic or the Modern Jazz Quartet doesn't change it's name. The organization still performs their repertoire.
Just as the director of a symphony orchestra it's my responsibility to keep the quality of CHIC functioning at the highest level possible. In all my 40 years plus, I've never heard a journalist say The Mahavishnu Orchestra is not The Mahavishnu Orchestra when Billy Cobham left or when Jerry Goodman, Jean-Luc Ponty or Gayle Moran came in and out.

Is this still a form of intellectually snobbery that my great teachers at Jazzmobile purged me of when I was a mere teenager? Everyone but r&b, pop and dance music composers are held to a higher standard. At best it's an accidental shame. At worst it's deliberate. ~ #NileRodgers

On 3/28/2018 at 22:21, steantval said:

Here are four to start with

Journey.

Foreigner.

Fleetwood Mac.

The Eagles.

Journey - you're having a giraffe! I saw them a few years back and they were awful (Whitesnake were OK and Thunder were great, so the gig wasn't a total bust).

Fleetwood Mac - now there's one...

6 hours ago, zzaass said:
A quick respectful note about CHIC for those whom don't seem to understand our concept, which has been the same since it's inception. I think I had too many cups of coffee this morning.

The CHIC Organization was the vessel created by Bernard Edwards and myself to perform our compositions. Think jazz groups or orchestras. When players move on or pass away, the NY Philharmonic or the Modern Jazz Quartet doesn't change it's name. The organization still performs their repertoire.
Just as the director of a symphony orchestra it's my responsibility to keep the quality of CHIC functioning at the highest level possible. In all my 40 years plus, I've never heard a journalist say The Mahavishnu Orchestra is not The Mahavishnu Orchestra when Billy Cobham left or when Jerry Goodman, Jean-Luc Ponty or Gayle Moran came in and out.

Is this still a form of intellectually snobbery that my great teachers at Jazzmobile purged me of when I was a mere teenager? Everyone but r&b, pop and dance music composers are held to a higher standard. At best it's an accidental shame. At worst it's deliberate. ~ #NileRodgers

I recall Pete Townsend in an interview saying something not dissimilar about The Who.

9 hours ago, prowla said:

Journey - you're having a giraffe! I saw them a few years back and they were awful (Whitesnake were OK and Thunder were great, so the gig wasn't a total bust).

Fleetwood Mac - now there's one...

They must have had a bad night, I’ve seen them twice with the new vocalist and they were spot on.

Can’t agree on Whitesnake, the band were great but Coverdales vocals were sh*te, he’s lost it, doing the usual vocalist cheat, pointing his microphone out towards the audience on the high stuff.

Thunder on the same gig as Whitesnake and they were brilliant.

58 minutes ago, steantval said:

They must have had a bad night, I’ve seen them twice with the new vocalist and they were spot on.

Can’t agree on Whitesnake, the band were great but Coverdales vocals were sh*te, he’s lost it, doing the usual vocalist cheat, pointing his microphone out towards the audience on the high stuff.

Thunder on the same gig as Whitesnake and they were brilliant.

I saw Whitesnake twice in their latter stages - once at the beginning of a tour and once at the end. The first time (third date of a tour) Coverdale sounded great. The next time he was awful and could hardly get a note out! Thunder were on that bill and Danny Bowes blew him away, but then he is somewhat younger than Coverdale and Thunder had only joined the last leg of a long tour.