Why become a member? ×

Yes at 50 - Warning: Prog and Spector content

ead

Just come home from seeing Yes at the Liverpool Philharmonic.  Excellent set which I think I can regurgitate if anybody is interested.

Chris Squire's replacement Billy Sherwood was using a selection of v nice Spector basses includingwhat I think was one of the 30th Anniversay models with the fish on the fretboard. 

Forgot to add that the Spectors sounded awesome and just as good as Chris's Ric.  Closed eyes I was hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Dodgy phone pic follows:

5ab59c77a5ee8_Yes23March2018.thumb.jpg.5925473be35bf865ae1db672ba4a8684.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

Hmmm. Yes without Chris Squire, Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman? Possibly Alan White too at this show?

Nah not for me. Love Steve Howe but Yes was all about the interplay of all those great musical voices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, visog said:

Hmmm. Yes without Chris Squire, Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman? Possibly Alan White too at this show?

Nah not for me. Love Steve Howe but Yes was all about the interplay of all those great musical voices.

indeed this - not knocking them but its not really yes is it - i was struggling with seeing them in their buggles phase but was an enjoyable gig nonetheless but still not a patch on the classic line up imho/ymmv/mcton/etc/etc

• Thanks 1

Alan White was playing but too frail to do the whole set.  I would gently suggest giving them a listen before dismissing the new line up.  Steve Howe was not an original member, nor was Alan White, and it has always been the band policy to evolve.  Chris Squire urged Billy Sherwood to take over his role and to keep Yes going.

• Like 1

This isn't Yes, and as daft as it sounds it isn't about the listening experience - I've no doubt that five people from BC could sound as good but wouldn't be charging Yes prices. 

IT ISN'T YES!

And I hate this Chris wanted Billy crap - if he'd wanted Glen Matlock would it have been ok?

Edited by spectoremg
  • Thanks 1

I saw Steve Howe smoking a roll up outside the Malmaison Hotel at Brighton Marina on Wednesday. Annoyed  that he didn't ask me to play in his Yes covers band.

Edited due to profanity filter making nonsense of my post.

Edited by Bassman Sam

Interesting.  In which case, any considering the comments above, the so-called classic Yes line-up of Anderson/Howe/Wakeman/Squire/White must also be no more than a classy tribute to the original band?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ead said:

Interesting.  In which case, any considering the comments above, the so-called classic Yes line-up of Anderson/Howe/Wakeman/Squire/White must also be no more than a classy tribute to the original band?

Squire and Anderson formed the band - they are (were) the core and they are in your list there.

However, the classic lineup was with Bruford on drums. :-)

3 hours ago, ead said:

Now you're really talking giant un-processed sewage units. And splitting hairs to boot.

I saw them recently in Birmingham and really enjoyed the gig. Having watched a recent documentary on sky Arts. What came through for me is that Yes As a band created a concept to musically develop more complex and inventive songs. So each member had to be on their game. If you weren’t you were asked to move on or just replaced. There was clearly some bad blood between particular reincarnations. Regardless it was great to see such interesting and indulgent playing. Can’t think of/ know any current bands doing that type of music. 

14 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Now you're really talking giant un-processed sewage units.

And yet you're then one that said Yes wasn't about the listening experience, it's certainly what I go to gigs to do.

Haven't quite been able to bring myself to go see them since CS passed away, maybe eventually if they keep going. Perhaps if they record a new album of original material instead of these tours playing entire old albums that they have got into the habit of it might persuade me.

On 25/03/2018 at 20:07, spectoremg said:

It's widely accepted that the line up you posted including Bill Bruford is classic. Basically you've just paid to watch a tribute act.

I’d better throw away my copies of Yessongs, Going For The One and 90125 then... I never realised they didn’t count as they’re just by some tribute band. ;)

• Like 3