Why become a member? ×

When not playing bass

Grahambythesea

Over the last 19 years I have been in a covers band playing bass and in that time I have also played V-drums, harmonica, keyboard, wind synthesizer, guitar and ukulele...... ALL of them to a mediocre level....  4 months ago I sold my drums and have stopped playing everything else except bass, which I am now practicing hard.  I want to get good at ONE instrument instead of very average at half a dozen !

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

When I need a break from Bass I dabble with guitar and a bit of Sax. I have an Epi Dot Studio 335 in white and a Soprano Sax which recently needed a repair when the low C key dislodged itself. All fixed now (thankfully).

Epi Dot1.jpg

Epi Dot2.jpg

IMG_1528.JPG

That Epi looks very nice Mick.

I love Jazz style guitars....there's just something about them...I was looking for a white scratchplate and p/up covers but I think that's just too OCD.

If I was Breadbin I'd be looking to delay returning that Jazz as long as I could...

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 21:03, TheGreek said:

When I need a break from Bass I dabble with guitar and a bit of Sax. I have an Epi Dot Studio 335 in white and a Soprano Sax which recently needed a repair when the low C key dislodged itself. All fixed now (thankfully).

Epi Dot1.jpg

Epi Dot2.jpg

IMG_1528.JPG

I have one of those Epiphone's in the 'Worn Vintage Sunburst'. I love it. 

Although it confuses me that it's called a 'Dot' when it doesn't have dots. 

Having started guitar while still at school, i thought i'd be a guitard god, but lack of talent got in the way, so i never played the instrument in a band, just at home

Having discovered drums though, at the age of 21/22, i realised i'd been playing the wrong instrument. Went on to join several bands as the drummist for 25 years

Then i discovered bass and realised i'd been playing the wrong instrument. :)

I have the guitar / amp at home but not a drumkit. Occasionally i amble down to the local jam bar and whack the tubbs.

strat.jpg

• 2 months later...

When I’m not playing bass I’m writing and recording songs and playing them at open mics, acoustic nights etc. The band / bass takes up most of my time so I don’t do my own stuff as often as I’d like, but I’m making a concerted effort to do more this year. I’ve started making YouTube videos too, on bass / guitar / camera subjects, which although basic is good fun.

When not playing the bass I'm mostly playing acoustic guitar and singing. Have been doing solo gigs for years, but stepped it up in the last 12 months.

I also stray into the territory of electric guitar too, but not often on stage.

You'll also find me doing life drawing down the local art college if I get half a chance, which isn't as often as I'd like.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

And a very nice pair too! Is the thin line much lighter than its partner, never played either but often thought about it.

Weight wise there's not much in it, the Thinline is a shade over 7lbs and the solid is around 8lbs. It's only the top part of the body above the centre block that's hollow so it's less than a third of the whole body.

They do sound very different though,with the humbuckers, the six saddle bridge and the hollow bit the Thinline doesn't really sound like a traditional tele at all.

Edited by Cato

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2018 at 08:12, Cato said:

Weight wise there's not much in it, the Thinline is a shade over 7lbs and the solid is around 8lbs. It's only the top part of the body above the centre block that's hollow so it's less than a third of the whole body.

They do sound very different though,with the humbuckers, the six saddle bridge and the hollow bit the Thinline doesn't really sound like a traditional tele at all.

I suppose the thin line was Fender’s attempt at a Gibson sound. For years Gibson have tried the opposite without success.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When not playing bass I write songs, do rough demos of them on GarageBand and play them (alongside the occasional cover) in bars and pubs. Before I joined my current band I was gigging weekly on my own; the band takes most of my time now but I still manage to get out on my own occasionally. I don’t really get nerves anymore when I gig with the band but I do enjoy the adrenaline/sheer terror of flying solo. I wish I had time to do it more often, actually.