Why become a member? ×

Power supply for pedals

Horrorshow

Hi peeps, 

ive recently amassed a small (3) collection of pedals and I’m aiming to diy or buy a little pedal board for them. 

I am after information regarding a power source for the pedals as I am sick of using 9v batteries all the time. I’ve seen various models of power bricks on line but I’m new to this. 

Will all power bricks work with all pedals or do you have to choose specific ones for certain powered pedals?

any info or links would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Broadly, providing you have the right voltage and sufficient current (mA) from the individual outputs you can use a PSU with any pedal.

The biggest risk is 'frying' your pedals by using too high a voltage (e.g. an 18V output with a 9V pedal).  The opposite, however, is not going to damage your pedals e.g. 9V output with a 12V pedal; you may simply not quite get the pedal working optimally (Two Notes Le Bass would be a good example here). 'Excess' current is also not a problem as the pedal will only draw what it needs, but too little current means that the pedal will struggle to perform at all.

If I was to recommend a PSU it would be the OneSpot CS6 (it's the one I almost got!), which should be able to meet your needs for quite a while to come, but it's maybe more than you're looking to spend on a PSU right now? If so, there are a number of really good value cheaper alternatives.

Here's a couple of links to point you further in the right direction:

Pretty much - most should be 9V. As I said some pedals are noisy when sharing power so it would be a good idea to list what you have in case there are any known offenders! For example anything digital by Zoom or EHX is usually prone to it, yet I've not found the same to be true with digital pedals from TC or Mooer.

If you just need 9V another option (which I think @dave_bass5 is using) is the Harley Benton Powerplant junior. Looks like amazing value to me (£30?) and will provide you with 5 isolated outputs with 120mA each, which should deal with the noisy shared power issue that can arise on daisy chaining that Danny rightly mentions. Some pedals will need more than 120mA though.

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

A simple 9V daisy chain may well suffice for starters, I used one for many years before upgrading to something fancier. Depends if you have any pedals with differing voltage requirements or any that are noisy when sharing power.

Pretty much what i was doing for the past 13 years.  Just using a 1 Spot wall wart PSU has been more than enough for a wireless receiver, a comp, a pre amp of some sort (Darkglass or Tech 21). It was only at christmas when i got my Cali that i needed more (18v), so got the Cioks DC5. Although i now dont have the Cali its a very neat solution for a modest pedal board like mine. Fits perfectly under the Pedal Train Nano+. Having the small board also means im not going to run out of power outputs.

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If you just need 9V another option (which I think @dave_bass5 is using) is the Harley Benton Powerplant junior. Looks like amazing value to me (£30?) and will provide you with 5 isolated outputs with 120mA each, which should deal with the noisy shared power issue that can arise on daisy chaining that Danny rightly mentions. Some pedals will need more than 120mA though.

No, ive got the Cioks DC5. the HB does look interesting though.

These are the pedals I experiment with. They all say 9v on the back apart from the chorus and envelope filter they both say use a 10v dc negative ground power supply? 

I only plan on really using the tu-3 the odb-3 and the muff mainly though. 

I like the the sound of the Harley Benton junior supply. I’ll have to google that one. 

Edit: the muff doesn’t say anything on the rear regarding voltage  

B9BAC9BF-9D71-4FFF-93C7-79FC0BC2678C.jpeg

Edited by Horrorshow

The muff is 9V. The other pedals that say 10V should be fine at 9 too - you never see 10V power supplies for pedals. They look like they would all be fine sharing power on a daisy chain using something like this:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mooer-9v-stage-power-supply-uk-plug/666807-01/

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mooer-8-angled-plug-daisy-chain-cable/666804-01/

Advantage of something like that is it doesn't need any space on a pedalboard.

This looks like a pretty good value option though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ZT7B5F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

2 hours ago, Briton said:

I use an MXR Iso-Brick, a great bit of kit from a trusted manufacturer!

download (1).jpg

I really like this iso brick but as @Al Krow said it’s pretty much overkill for a bedroom bassist like myself. 

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

The muff is 9V. The other pedals that say 10V should be fine at 9 too - you never see 10V power supplies for pedals. They look like they would all be fine sharing power on a daisy chain using something like this:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mooer-9v-stage-power-supply-uk-plug/666807-01/

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mooer-8-angled-plug-daisy-chain-cable/666804-01/

Advantage of something like that is it doesn't need any space on a pedalboard.

This looks like a pretty good value option though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ZT7B5F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

The last power pack from amazon looks good. I’ve seen various similar ones listed on eBay for pretty much the same price with fairly good reviews. 

This (or an eBay) version will be the way I am going to go I think. Now I know I’m not going to fry my pedals! 

Thanks for all the help and advice.