Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass - one volume control and nothing else

BrunoBass

I recently saw the attached photo on Instagram, of two Jazz basses with what appears to be just a single volume control. One of my Jazz’s is a passive J&D copy, which I only ever use with both pickups on full and master tone on full, so having just a single volume control appeals. 

I can’t find a wiring diagram anywhere, does anyone know where to find one, and has anyone performed this modification?

403890FF-97F4-4262-B45C-660EFABA90C9.jpeg

Yeah done it to both my Jazz basses .. J&D is also one of them. I actually got luthier to do it coz I’m not the best at soldering .. I believe (if you google standard jazz bass wiring) you can just ignore the second vol & tone pot wiring & solder both pickups to the first vol pot then to output jack :)

77AC64B0-2BE6-4186-947D-3CEBE7B40D70.jpeg

731E4A6C-A59C-4B9F-BEAD-970C604A3C78.jpeg

14 hours ago, BassBunny said:

In your original post you say you have the tone control "Full On". Is that as in full Bass or full Treble? Depending on which you may need to add a capacitor to the circuit to replicate the tone control.

Full treble. 

8 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Full treble. 

Strangely, as that is with the capacitor doing as little as possible, isn't that "full off"?

I can understand why it's "full on" as it calls for the pot to be turned fully in the same direction as full volume.

Sorry ramblings if a madman..

12 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Strangely, as that is with the capacitor doing as little as possible, isn't that "full off"?

I can understand why it's "full on" as it calls for the pot to be turned fully in the same direction as full volume.

Sorry ramblings if a madman..

Pedant :D

31 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

No capacitor needed then. :biggrin:

Actually you might need to. Having the tone control on full treble isn't the same as removing it altogether - usually the sound will be even brighter since the tone control is always removing some of the top end from the sound. You can replicate the circuit in its full treble position with a resistor of the same value as the tone pot and the capacitor in series wired between the signal and the earth.