Why become a member? ×

Lending equipment to a bandmate?

Jonse

Some context: 

I play in a rock originals band with my brother (guitar) and two other fellas (drums, singer/guitar.) We are all good friends. 

The drummer has another band which do acoustic/folk originals which he sings and plays acoustic guitar in and the singer plays bass in. (Sorry if that is confusing.) 

We have a practice room that both bands share, however the rock originals band pays the rent for this room and I leave some of my stuff in there. (backup bass, gig rig, pedals.) 

They have a gig coming up where some local bands are doing covers from a Fleetwood Mac album. I initially heard about this event when talking to a promoter in a local bar and put the rock originals band forward to cover a song (they said we weren't suitable so whatever) however I believe my drummer's acoustic band then went on to be accepted for this gig after I mentioned that we should play it with the rock group (okay that's fine, great.) 

Essentially, the drummer and bass player are now asking to borrow a practice amp of mine and my back up bass to play the gig with. Do I tell them they are royally taking the p*ss or do I let them borrow my gear? On a recent gig the bass player used my back up bass without asking (I told him it was okay to use it within the practice room if he wished, to save him lugging his own bass down.) I care very much about the rock originals band and I don't want to cause any bad blood between us. 

Sorry if this essay of a post is confusing but my brain is feeling fried here. 

1 minute ago, skidder652003 said:

lend em the gear if you care about your band, its only a practise amp and back up bass after all, so long as you're happy knowing any damage will be paid for by the boys.

I agree but if your gear wasn’t to hand what would they do? And definitely make it clear you break it you replace it!!!

• Like 1

Though it would be understandably satisfying to point at these guys and make a loud raspberry noise it might be more diplomatic explain that you'd be very happy to lend them the gear but unfortunately the amp's been playing up so it's going down the mender's and you'll be needing the bass as a shovel in case it snows.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Though it would be understandably satisfying to point at these guys and make a loud raspberry noise it might be more diplomatic explain that you'd be very happy to lend them the gear but unfortunately the amp's been playing up so it's going down the mender's and you'll be needing the bass as a shovel in case it snows.

Had considered this but going to do the supportive thing and lend them my equipment. 

Frustrating to think though that if they didn't expect to borrow my stuff they'd be screwed. Perhaps this time it's been bugging me because they're not very thankful. 

My three pence worth: whilst I appreciate your dilemma, in my experience people do not take care of borrowed equipment. Personally I wouldn’t not lend the Amp and certainly not the bass. Just state your case and neither a borrower or a lender be 🤓

• Thanks 1

I will lend gear but generally this is only to very close friends. You need to balance which is more valuable to you - your gear or your friendship. Thing is, sometimes friendships fall to pieces over damage to gear...

Let it be known that if gear is lent, you do so reluctantly and that you are just covering your derrière...

Make it clear, as Jimothey says, that any damage has to be paid for - "it got dropped...it was an accident" still means that your mate is putting his hand in his pocket. If he believes nothing will happen then he won't mind leaving a cash equivalent as he'll be getting it all back.

Make sure that you end the conversation on a positive - "good luck with the gig...we'll be in the crowd cheering" sort of thing..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I will lend gear but generally this is only to very close friends. You need to balance which is more valuable to you - your gear or your friendship. Thing is, sometimes friendships fall to pieces over damage to gear...

Let it be known that if gear is lent, you do so reluctantly and that you are just covering your derrière...

Make it clear, as Jimothey says, that any damage has to be paid for - "it got dropped...it was an accident" still means that your mate is putting his hand in his pocket. If he believes nothing will happen then he won't mind leaving a cash equivalent as he'll be getting it all back.

Make sure that you end the conversation on a positive - "good luck with the gig...we'll be in the crowd cheering" sort of thing..

Sage advice, this is the route I took. 

• Like 1

I would not lend any of my gear out, even to mates.

Its OK getting an agreement if it gets damaged they pay for the repairs, once something has been damaged it’s never the same.

Lets say they knock a small chip or dent out of a bass, to me that would require a full repaint to make good, the bass then loses its originality.

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'd lend 'em the gear and be glad for them for getting a gig. What's rankling with you here..? I can't see the problem. Am  being too naive (hard to imagine 9_9 ..!)..? 

I agree, sounds like something has definitely got to you about them getting the gig, not you. Don't take it out on them. The promoter thinks they are suitable and you are not. He may be wrong but it is his call. Don't let this fester and spoil your relationship with the guys. Go and support them and enjoy the gig.

I loan people stuff often. I currently have an Ibanez  electro acoustic guitar "out on loan"  I am a rubbish guitar player and the guy who is using it is brilliant but cannot afford a decent one ...seems a good fit to me. 

I am off today to loan my Fender electro acoustic bass to someone for a few months as they are in need....I don't know them but they are a member of this forum and I have never met a bad person from here, so I am happy to help.

Maybe it's the fact that I am sixty and  have enough gear to keep me going.

I see you did loan them your gear...I hope everything goes as well for you as it always has for me.

• Like 1

I loaned my bass rig once, decades ago, and it got damaged. I considered the person I loaned it to a good friend until I realised he wasn’t remotely apologetic and wasn’t even considering repairing the damage. Our friendship was scuppered and my gear was damaged so I lost out in both departments. Just be aware of one thing, nothing determines how close friends, and family for that matter, are than money. I don’t lend anyone anything because you’ll soon find out that life-long trusted friends will turn ugly over a tenner. I’ve seen good friends fall out over less and families disintegrate over tiny disputed wills. If you don’t lend your gear you’ll soon see who your real mates are. </rant>

I'd probably lend them the gear but suggest that if they are going to start gigging regularly they ought to think about investing in their own gear.

It depends how you feel about it (and obviously you have some issues or you wouldn't have posted about it) and how a refusal might affect the dynamic of your band. Maybe ask for a deposit in case anything gets damaged?

Edit: Maybe offer to help find them some suitable gear to purchase from the for sale section :)

Edited by Norris

Only you know the real situation , I've lent out my rig and basses (only the dinged ones) to many people over the years , and feel happy helping others get started etc . 

You do however have to feel good about who you are lending to and their reasons for needing the loan 

Edited by lojo

18 minutes ago, chris_b said:

So the bass player doesn't have any gear?

If these guys were serious they'd have their own gear. If they aren't serious I wouldn't lend anything to them.

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering what kind of bass player would be in a gigging band without actually having a bass or amp to gig with.

I can just imagine Lewis Hamilton turning up for an F1 race and phoning round his driver mates to see if one of them has a car he can borrow.

59 minutes ago, chris_b said:

So the bass player doesn't have any gear?...

From the OP...

"...it was okay to use it within the practice room if he wished, to save him lugging his own bass down..." (My Bold...)

... so he does have gear, but maybe less well adapted for the gig taken on. 'Snot much use being friends if one can't accept a bit of a hand now and again. If things were reversed, how many here would never consider asking a friend for the loan of something..? Seems an odd way of living to me, but 'To each his own', I suppose. I'm much less of a materialist, it would seem. It's only gear; friendships are of far more value, in my eyes, and couldn't be spoiled by a simple pecuniary loss. Still, whatever... :|

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm much less of a materialist, it would seem. It's only gear; friendships are of far more value, in my eyes, and couldn't be spoiled by a simple pecuniary loss. Still, whatever... :|

Friendships should be far more valuable than a pecuniary or material loss, essentially what I'm saying is that very few friendships are, most would not survive a disagreement over either because friendships are (at least in my experience), in reality, far less strong than people assume. I don't consider myself particularly materialistic, I am, however (I hope) reasonably principled. If I used someone else's rig I and I damaged it I would replace, repair or compensate without having to be asked after my profuse apology. I have not found others to be similarly inclined.