Why become a member? ×

Digitech bass synth wah, settings issue?

uk_lefty

Was very excited when I got this hoping that the envelope filter (setting 1) would be just what I'm looking for. I've previously owned the Dod FX25B and the EHX Q-Tron. However when I use the Digitech with my band it loses all low end and it does not sound good at all, not a funky filter, just a chirpy noise with a horrid clicky-ness to it. Will try with a different bass but am using a p bass going straight in to the Digitech as the first pedal on my board, no other pedals engaged. At home it sounds good it just seems to have an issue with volume. Any advice? I know other people use them very successfully so must be something in my setup, but not sure what?

Edited by uk_lefty

55 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Was very excited when I got this hoping that the envelope filter (setting 1) would be just what I'm looking for. I've previously owned the Dod FX25B and the EHX Q-Tron. However when I use the Digitech with my band it loses all low end and it does not sound good at all, not a funky filter, just a chirpy noise with a horrid clicky-ness to it. Will try with a different bass but am using a p bass going straight in to the Digitech as the first pedal on my board, no other pedals engaged. At home it sounds good it just seems to have an issue with volume. Any advice? I know other people use them very successfully so must be something in my setup, but not sure what?

I used to split the signal and blend in that in with the Digiwah. It was a good fun pedal - especially for the money - but it's usefulness for what I wanted was somewhat limited. 

^this

I could only get useful sounds out of it in a ls2 clean blend loop.thete are way better filters out there tbh. However At that price point for all its capabilities its probably the best value pedal out there....  The bananana Matryoshka comes close tho... 

I was waiting for a Dod FX25B, get impatient and bought this, then got offered loads of Dod pedals! Thought it would be ok and at home volumes with my jazz bass it is. It might just be my p bass with the tone fully open for that dry clanky sound, but that's the tone I want without the pedal engaged and I just want to bring it in for the odd passage. 

On the plus side one of the ocave down filters was good for a small section on a 90's dance track we play, but only when playing up the dusty end!

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

but it's usefulness for what I wanted was somewhat limited.

Most of the settings on it I will never use and I can't fathom how people do anything remotely musical with them, but hey, some say the same about P basses so what do I know?! Each to their own.

The FX25b sounds great, but because of the volume dip when engaged (there’s no Vol Control), makes it pretty useless live.

If the SBW isn’t doing it for you, do yourself a favor and just get an MXR Bass Envelope Filter. Job done.

Si

Also try having 1st pot set nearer to complete anticlockwise and it should sound less chirpy... actually this setting is likely to vary greatly from bass to bass. .. but once you get a good sound on setting 1, switch to setting 2 and it adds a phat lower octave.. I found this to be the most usable sound

5 hours ago, Jonathan Bee said:

Hi...the middle pot controls the blend on setting 1 (envelope filter) so turning it anti-clockwise allows you to dial in more of your clean signal. I have managed to find a usable bass sound with little low end loss this way...give it a go!

what he says.

The knobs on the BSW may do slightly different things in different modes, and they're also quite interactive so that sometimes a knob doesn't seem to do much unless another knob is away from the extreme positions... experiment a little. It's not the best pedal out there, but it does quite a few things decently. The octave is not bad either.

From what I remember (I don't have mine anymore), low end loss was not a problem at all with it. The DOD FX25 can sound great but it's a little wild and can often be a bit overwhelming. I prefer the BSW.