Why become a member? ×

Is this genuine Fender Custom Shop?

Seen this on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-custom-shop-Bass-/263565003161

Is this really a Fender Custom Shop loaded pickguard? I quite like the idea of a bakelite pickguard but this just looks suspicious.  Slightly blurred images mean you can't pick out the details - but the pickups just don't look like anything you would normally se in a reissue bass, and I've never heard of any fender pickups called 60's vintage hot with a 17k dc resistance.  Also, no thumbrest holes and 13 holes in pickguard - would that be normal on a 60's CS?  Lastly I can't quite make out the cap or the pots, but the cap looks like a modern bog standard brown cap rather than any kind of vintage one, the wiring doesn't look like what I've seen in reissue or custom shop basses either.

Any thoughts?

Edited by No. 8 Wire

I saw this earlier and was dubious, as far as I am aware Bakerlite was only used on the earliest basses and would not have been used on the later shape Precision, the fact it is 13 hole says it is a later pickguard, it could be a genuine custom shop order from someone wanting something a bit different but personally I wouldn't be buying it unless the seller can produce the floor traveler build sheet that would confirm it was a custom shop part 

• Like 1

I think this is what this guy is selling https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/True-Custom-Shop-60s-Reissue-Vintage-Hot-Pickup-Set-for-Fender-Precision-P-Bass-/172811206750

In think the story stinks as well.  How could the bass get totally trashed and yet leave the pickguard untouched. Where is the bridge and the tuners? Even the neckplate would be worth something if it was custom shop.