Why become a member? ×

Curious 74 AVRI Jazz

Edenburgh

Hey folks, 

Decided to take advantage of GuitarGuitar reducing the prices on their AVRI range now that the American Original series have landed.   Bagged this 74 AVRI for American Standard/Pro money.

Couple of oddities though - tug bar below the strings rather than in thumb rest position and a tort guard rather than black.

Everything else stacks up as it should (including certificate, serial number, neck profile, bridge pickup position,  case candy etc).   Any ideas?    Just random change of spec?

20180323_083819.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm - it certainly looks like that's a AVRI 64 body:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/jazz-bass/fender-american-vintage-64-jazz-bass-in-3-color-sunburst

https://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/732439/fender-american-vintage-64-jazz-bass-sunburst?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9LVBRDOARIsAGqoVnsp-QJI0rw9FJJJsXrFXmsyYOpnhMWZ5R2Hx8TLtPj2zMHa_V8b33saAjBVEALw_wcB

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13010717190032--fender-american-vintage-64-jazz-bass-rw-3tsb

Could be a factory error, 64 body had a 74 neck attached?

Not unheard of for stuff like that to happen, I had a USA Geddy Lee Jazz bass which had the wrong neck on it (black blocks/binding instead of white pearl).

Looking at GG's web page, they have more of the '74 in stock (5 to be exact, at time of writing):

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13010717450132--fender-american-vintage-74-jazz-bass-rw-3tsb

So, if you're unsure, I'd be onto them asking for an exchange (confirming that the one they were sending you as a replacement was correct to spec.)

Hope this helps!

Also - Look at the sunburst pattern on the 60's vs 70's, 60's goes much further out to the edge of the body.

Capture.JPG.20ebf4a067cf0e3e50cd9f5f4bb27d59.JPG

Although - looking at yours, it does appear to have the Bridge pickup in the correct location (closer to the bridge).

Could be that your bass has a correctly routed body, but has had the 60's burst pattern painted and 60's pickguard/thumbrest applied.

What about the bridge on yours?  Does it have threaded barrels(60's) or single slot ones(70's)?

Either way I'd say you're looking at some sort of factory error.

Hiya LewisK1975 - that's what I was thinking....but the bridge pickup routing is correct for a 74 (the pickup would protrude more from under the ashtray on a 64) so it really is strange.

I'm comfortable with an oddity as I love the way it plays and sounds so not thinking of sending it back.

1 minute ago, Edenburgh said:

Hiya LewisK1975 - that's what I was thinking....but the bridge pickup routing is correct for a 74 (the pickup would protrude more from under the ashtray on a 64) so it really is strange.

I'm comfortable with an oddity as I love the way it plays and sounds so not thinking of sending it back.

Cool, FWIW I also like the tort plate on yours!

1 minute ago, Edenburgh said:

Singly slot bridge barrels (correct for 70s)

Just now, Edenburgh said:

Factory F*ckup?

I'd say so, sounds like it's all to spec then apart from the pickguard and thumbrest.

14 minutes ago, OmeDunk said:

Make sure you think about the resell value of this f*ckup before you decide to keep it.

I think it’s a lovely bass though

Good shout - I've dropped a note to GG accordingly.       Maybe all this needs is a set of lollypop tuners to completely confuse the vintage.

Okay  - so in summary I appear to have purchased some sort of AVRI Frankenbass which is all very strange given that it's brand spanking new:

From the 64 AVRI:  Sunburst pattern (brighter), nitro finish, tort guard, lower mounted tug bar, neck plate with the serial number stamp (no "F" stamp on neck plate)

From the 74 AVRI: 74 routing for bridge pickup, Single slot bridge barrels, U shape bound/block neck, Large TV logo, "Fender" stamped 70s tuners

Maybe Fender had a few odds and ends left of each AVRI before they switched over to making the new "American Original" series?   Be interesting to get Fender to comment on this one.

3 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I'd certainly be looking for a written statement from them, about its oddities, just in case the OP ever wants to sell 

In fact I'm gonna float this one past the Fender UK Facebook page to see what they reckon...

34 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

yes agree

have GG responded ?

its looks lovely but it isn't what you paid for. 

The guy I know at GG isn't in today and I emailed him directly - I have every confidence in GG in Edinburgh so there's no worries on that front.  I've dropped Fender UK an email querying the spec.   All I can think about now is Lollipop tuners.   They really would set this off looking like a 68/69.

Hey all.   I sent the photo onto Fender Consumer Relations who have responded swiftly and advised (in writing) that it has been a "mis-build" - a rare occurrence but the second time they've seen it on a 70's spec Jazz.

GuitarGuitar Edinburgh have also been fab (as usual) and offered me a straight swap to a replacement - they currently have these in stock and have spot checked a couple to confirm correct spec.

With this written confirmation from Fender, I'm comfortable keeping this f*ckup.    In fact we're becoming quite inseparable.   Here it is with all the bling removed (much as I love the look, it does get in the way)...

20180325_220542.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

Whilst it looks great, I honestly would want the right spec....you might keep it forever but if you don't, you are going to take quite a hit on resale.

Sorry to be so negative! Just trying to weigh it up.

not necessarily- it looks fine and fender do have a history of parts-bin builds. He's got concrete proof from Fender its really one of theirs and left the factory like it. 

I think he's bullet-proof on this one

@Grahambythesea fair play to Fender for owning up to the problem.  

• Like 1

Personally - I wouldn't be deterred on resale. There are people (like me) who would see it as an interesting, good thing (since that's backed up by Fender now).

A prospective/new owner can also get the bass re-verified by Fender at any time. 

I love the look of it personally! A little envious, in fact :) and glad you're really liking the bass, in any case! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1