Why become a member? ×

Hello from old guy in the states

m.b.kane

Hi from the states,

just joined, so I wanted to say hello. I've been playing out since 1968. started on guitar, then to bass, then piano  (which I began lessons when in third grade), then back to bass, which I focus on now. played Saturday night in an Irish band for st. Patrick's.

my first bass was a '60s fender jazz bass, which i played through a fender bassman amp. I now use an esp Ltd 4-string (neck through body) active electronics and a hartke amp.

look forward to joining in the forums.

michael 

thank you for the welcome andy.

i'm located in pennsylvania near the town of reading. and, yes, it is named after the reading in the u.k. it's the seat of our berks county. it was named by william penn. actually, we are surrounded by similar sister cities, e.g., lancaster, and york. guess what the baseball teams from these towns are called? you're right! (if you guessed the rose affair). we are about an hour from bath, also. and so it goes.  honestly, i have visited your versions of these towns and find them infinitely more attractive, especially bath.

i've been playing since around 1968. it has seen me through undergrad and grad school, and the summers when i was lecturing at university. good source of extra income, and more fun than waiting tables. now that i'm retired, i play for fun.

so, what's the music scene like in Kent?

michael

• Haha 1

I’ve been playing since  about 1994, I’m 40. Inspired by John Deacon and play in a santana tribute plus covers band. Been to the U.S once for a road trip starting at New Orleans for the blues festival and making our way to Memphis, Nashville, Jackson and a detour to Muscle Shoals. One of the best trips of my life!

North Kent is good for live bands, South Kent not so. I actually live near New Romney, of which there is a USA twin, I had a pen pal once at school from there.

i too gig fun the interest and a few quid.

8 hours ago, m.b.kane said:

i have visited your versions of these towns and find them infinitely more attractive, especially bath.

Hahahaha!  That made me smile.

My next door neighbours moved to Melbourne.  Although I have lived in Derbyshire for a few decades I assumed they meant they'd emigrated to Australia.  Not so.  They had moved to a small town about twenty miles away!  Doh.

Melbourne, Derbyshire.