Why become a member? ×

Feedback needed from bass tutors

GirlOnADragon

Hi,

Fairly new here (be kind) - spam me with links if this is an oft asked question (I have searched) or if I'm asking in the wrong bit of the forum.

I have been playing bass now a while and have a lesson every month of so as I don't have the confidence to join a band (yet), because of work I won't have a lesson for a while and I'd like to put together a few tracks that really push my playing and show my teacher I have been listening to the theory drummed into me! I play a lot of REM, RHCP, 90's rock, Rush, Beatles - I like funky bass lines and strange time signatures! I have a 4 string Cort & a 5 string Ibenez, I love my Cort and always reach for it but could really do with playing my 5 string more.

Thanks in advance (not Dreamtheatre btw - I don't have enough strings!)

If you can play those tupe of bands then youre more than capable of joining a band.

Youll never feel ready to join a band, but as soon as you do join one, your playing will improve 10 times quicker than having lessons. Youll naturally push yourself harder, have to play songs you wouldnt neccessarily pick and learn to gel with other band members and what they play - all stuff that you cant get from having a lesson - and far more valuable.

• Like 2

I understand you lack confidence, but you don't HAVE to join a band made up of far better musicians than you think you are. Find some others just starting out, then you will all be learning and you won't feel so out of place.

But, playing with more advanced players is a great way to improve quickly :)

• Like 1

Are there any places near you that run regular jam sessions? They can be a great way to get started & also to meet other players who may be in a similar position to you. And what about local rehearsal studios? They usually have notice boards for musicians seeking bands & vice versa ...