Why become a member? ×

Rare vintage Overwater Artisan bass (1988) (SOLD!!!)
£1250

Kees_SoS

Price now dropped to GBP 1050. Open to serious offers.

No trades.

All-original 1988 Overwater Artisan bass guitar with the rare active filter circuit, which is hard to find in full working order nowadays, and offers a wide variety of sounds. 

It has an extremely fast, completely clean mahogany neck (no breaks) with an ebony fretboard, and comes with a heavy-duty flightcase. 

The bass is currently with my parents in Crewe, England.

NB: I also have a 2015 Overwater Original Series five-string up for sale: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/324506-overwater-original-series-custom-five-string-2015-no-trades/IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Edited by Kees_SoS
Price drop

Great bass! 

I remember trying one of these out at the Bass Centre in Wapping in the late 80s or early 90s.

IIRC, the filter circuit was Overwater's version of the Wal Custom electronics and was very good...

I can't remember what pick ups they had, though they look like Kent Armstrong humbuckers to me..

Anyway, have a BUMP from me for a really cool British made, boutique bass!

GLWTS

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting basses these. I have a very early one- 1980 according to the man- and the shape is actually quite different. The top bout on mine is much more pointy, this one is quite rounded. There is a routered rebate around the top of mine, which has disappeared here, the pickups have moved (on the earlier basses the neck pickup was further towards the erm...neck), they have changed make (from Bill Lawrence blades to the Kent Armstrongs on this one) and the early ones had a passive tone circuit, whereas this one is active. The bridge on mine is a schaller, same as this,  so maybe the one with the Overwater branded bridge is a very late one? Or did they change, then change back for some obscure eighties supply related issue? Who knows.....

Anyway, fascinating. You have a  lovely looking bass there. Shame these don't attract the same cachet as Wal's, otherwise someone would probably have paid you £240,000,000 for it twelve seconds after you put the advert up. 😂

Edited by W1_Pro
Amendment

On 07/09/2018 at 10:31, W1_Pro said:

Interesting basses these. I have a very early one- 1980 according to the man- and the shape is actually quite different. The top bout on mine is much more pointy, this one is quite rounded. There is a routered rebate around the top of mine, which has disappeared here, the pickups have moved (on the earlier basses the neck pickup was further towards the erm...neck), they have changed make (from Bill Lawrence blades to the Kent Armstrongs on this one) and the early ones had a passive tone circuit, whereas this one is active. The bridge on mine is a schaller, same as this,  so maybe the one with the Overwater branded bridge is a very late one? Or did they change, then change back for some obscure eighties supply related issue? Who knows.....

Anyway, fascinating. You have a  lovely looking bass there. Shame these don't attract the same cachet as Wal's, otherwise someone would probably have paid you £240,000,000 for it twelve seconds after you put the advert up. 😂

Given the description, yours must be an Original Series, like the other Overwater I have up for sale, although mine is a recent version with very different specs: 

From what I’ve seen, I’d say they started using the branded bridges in the early ‘90s, although they currently use a variety of bridges for their custom models.

• Like 1