Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD Fender Precision Special 1982 Lake placid blue (trades)
£1450

Fender '82 Precision Special

RQ2vPZW.jpg

Great american made Fender precision special. And its a special thing indeed, this first active bass from Fender. It doesnt only look awesome, but it also plays very well with a low action and sounds great. In passive mode it sounds as to be expected from a good precision. With the 2eq preamp enganged you can produce a wide range of impressive sounds by boosting/cutting the lows and the highs.

SgL6iJu.jpg

1YpwXZz.jpg

3y1CSb0.jpg

5Ehhn2W.jpg

2LBhxYA.jpg

NryxrFR.jpg

Ul1ICZI.jpg

Hy5X7gs.jpg

tWJuE0T.jpg

5g7vlPX.jpg

Build quality of this bass is very good. Ive had a late 70s precision at the same time last year and compared them side by side. Both sounded great, but this P special was an obvious winner concerning build quality. Fit and finish (neck pocket, pickguard) are great with no large gaps. With the special, the precision basses also got their elegant contours back like in the 60s. The late 70s P I compared it with had much lesser rounded contouring.

The neck on this Fender plays very nicely. It has a rather wide profile, but the neck is not to chunky. The neck had its frets levelled last year and now plays lovely with a low action. 

Its obvious that this was not just the next fender follow-up production made of leftover parts, but Fender really wanted to introduce an impressive instrument. Ive read somewhere on the www that these were made by a small team that would later basically become the custom shop. Im not sure if its true, but found it worth mentioning:).

The special is not a featherweight though, it weighs about 5kg. 

The bass is used but not abused. It has its usermarks, and a more obvious damage to the lacquer on the back. The neck also has some damage to the (edges of the) finish, but nothing unusual for a 36 years old instrument. Behind the base plates of the tuners, extra holes have been left from smaller tuners that once had been installed. The ear of the E tuner has been bowed.

All hardware and electronics function as they should. All parts are original to my knowledge, except the top nut that has been renewed last year.

An original vintage (late 70s I guess) Fender case is included in the sale. It has "Iron Maiden" logo applied on it, looks to be done with nail polish. New dean markley blue steel strings have been installed.

xHgjqJV.jpg

CCd3dnP.jpg

1H7LjcU.jpg

aJcDygR.jpg

hwV2Cnp.jpg

hnuihXq.jpg

3XHydqW.jpg

I purchased a nice lightweight single coil telecaster bass about 2 months ago, that pretty much replaced this precision since. So id rather move it on (read; exchange for something different) than keeping it stored.

Fixed price: £1.450

I'm not interested in lower offers.

Trades/partial trades might be considered: I'm mainly interested in 60s specd Fender jazzes (anything from mex roadworn and up, weight of max 4,2kg) or similiar. Though other (classic styled) basses may also have my attention, like mustang bass, jazz bass special, (metallic colours), rickenbacker, old gibson....

The bass is located in the Netherlands. Will ship within the EU at buyers risk and expense.

Feel free to contact me through PM if you have any questions. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

Absolutely love these - great active circuit and Fender's first as the seller suggests.  Build quality is excellent on all that I've played.  Prefer the blue and white (the CAR is prone to orange peel effect).  This one looks intact apart from the noted changes/mods.  Fantastic basses but incredibly HEAVY - I haven't played one that hasn't been anything other than a beast - no problem if your shoulders can take it.  I even removed the lovely thumb rest from mine (saved a few ounces).  Good luck - I'd love this but sadly too heavy for me