Why become a member? ×

More OLP Stingray tales

LITTLEWING

I installed a Wilkinson humbucker in my 4 string OLP and it was without saying a massive improvement over the original. Gave it a good setup as per the Ernie Ball website and set the pickup height. Now, I found I had four or five frets on the D string ( 4th to 8th) I hadn't really noticed with an 'after buzz' if I dug in too hard. Spent a good few hours going up and down with the string heights and forward and back with the relief all to no avail. I was more or less set to nip over to a luthier mate to have a little tickle with the frets when a sudden nagging thought about magnetic pull just wouldn't go away.

Yep, the new pup had a bloody strong magnet which was dragging the D down enough to introduce fret buzz. Dropped the pup down 1mm more both sides and the stupid buzz has gone, albeit with the guitar volume now very slightly quieter thru the amp.

So, without holding down strings at any fret, the E side is now 5mm from pole piece to underside of string and 4mm under the G with the strings set at 3/32" at the 12th fret.

Dontcha just love it when something so simple works out just fine and dandy?

Edited by LITTLEWING
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...