Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for affordable compressor

markdavid

Guest adi77
4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

For cheap compressors I really like the Marshall ED-1.

I have some expensive compressors too, but I'll never sell any of the ED-1s I have. I love them!

Also the white and yellow BBE opto stomp 

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I highly rate the Spectracomp also, that I just picked up used for £50. So much so that my Cali Compact Bass might be up for the chop! :o

I'll be keeping a beady eye on the for sale boards for that Cali then 😀

Guest adi77
3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I highly rate the Spectracomp also, that I just picked up used for £50. So much so that my Cali Compact Bass might be up for the chop! :o

image.png

Edited by adi77

Don't knock it until you've tried it! I dismissed it for a long time just assuming everyone that liked it probably had cloth ears. I was genuinely shocked how good it was, especially given that I tend not to like digital stuff either.

I need to spend some more time with them both, but the Cali wins for transparent yet slightly fattening compression, the Spectracomp though is an amazing tone enhancer, makes your bass sound like it has magical fairy dust sprinkled on top!

Guest adi77
1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Don't knock it until you've tried it! I dismissed it for a long time just assuming everyone that liked it probably had cloth ears. I was genuinely shocked how good it was, especially given that I tend not to like digital stuff either.

I need to spend some more time with them both, but the Cali wins for transparent yet slightly fattening compression, the Spectracomp though is an amazing tone enhancer, makes your bass sound like it has magical fairy dust sprinkled on top!

that is not it 

that is not it at all"

it was directed at your decision regarding the cali cb 

16 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I dismissed it for a long time just assuming everyone that liked it probably had cloth ears.

Ostensibly being one of the cloth eared in question, I'm intrigued to know how arrived at this assumption. Do tell. 

• Haha 1

A Zoom B1on is a cheap way to stick your toe in the water, under £50, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-B1on-Bass-Effects-Pedal/dp/B00JLEHMG6 the same sims as its big brothers (the B3 and MS60B), trickier to adjust and a plastic case (though I've been using one at gigs for 2 years with no problems) I use the M comp with everything set in the middle, and there's all the other goodies on there as well, at the price it's unbeatable

Edited by PaulWarning

20 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

@Osiris as someone who has been banging on about Spectracomps way before they became fashionable and @dave_bass5 who has just offloaded his Cali 76CB (well actually onto me!) because he found his Spectracomp (that's NOT a SpectraDRIVE btw, please don't confuse!) are both going to be thrilled to hear you say that. Although I suspect that until you've tried them both out in a band mix Osiris would say you can't really pass judgement (makes sense, right?) and Dave B5 who has recently tried his Spectracomp out with his band found that it made no difference whatsoever when he switched his Spectracomp off. 

Hmmm....ok I'm now not sure that we've actually proved anything about anything :D

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

A Zoom B1on is a cheap way to stick your toe in the water, under £50, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-B1on-Bass-Effects-Pedal/dp/B00JLEHMG6 the same sims as its big brothers (the B3 and MS60B), trickier to adjust and a plastic case (though I've been using one at gigs for 2 years with no problems) I use the M comp with everything set in the middle, and there's all the other goodies on there as well, at the price it's unbeatable

Yes indeed, I'm a big fan of the M-Comp model too, I love the way it it adds that mid range punch to help the bass cut through a busy mix. 

Edited by Osiris

Does the spectracomp have a patch which replicates the famed  Dbx comp? That would be interesting especially if the tone prints were designed to emulate famous industry standard comps rather than witty titled pro’s tone prints. Anyone from TC Electronic been approached about that idea?

5 hours ago, krispn said:

Does the spectracomp have a patch which replicates the famed  Dbx comp? That would be interesting especially if the tone prints were designed to emulate famous industry standard comps rather than witty titled pro’s tone prints. Anyone from TC Electronic been approached about that idea?

I'd have to see the Toneprint Editor, but I would assume that, given how much everyone talks about there being so many parameters to adjust, one should be able to build a reasonable facsimile of most compressors, short of any harmonic content generated by transformers or tubes or whathaveyou.

That is one of the advantages of the editor in my view. I'm surprised its not been approached in a more overt way but to be fair I've not seen the videos of famous folks talking about their respective tone print inspirations.