Why become a member? ×

Travelling to gigs. How do you get there ?

dmccombe7

Most times I drive. I have my gear plus one of two PA speakers. Our drummer looks after the other one. Our guitarist brings the mixer, monitors and lights. 

In my previous job my car was a BMW 1 series, I had a few of them over the years and they were not conducive to transportation of gig gear. I changed jobs last year and now have an estate, so getting all my stuff in is no problem.

We have a mate with a minibus too, if he’s around he’ll sometimes drive. We can get all of our gear in easily, and if he drives there’s a rare opportunity for me to enjoy a post gig pint or two.

13 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

We drive ourselves to gigs. The two git wrists live quite close to each other, so they car share.

I have the Markbass combo and ext speaker which can quite happily fit in the boot of my Fiesta.

The singer always gets there early to set up the lights and PA etc.

If you replace Markbass with Fender and Fiesta with Range Rover then the rest is exactly the same for us!

10 hours ago, HengistPod said:

Someone said their singer turns up early and sets up the lights and PA. I nearly fell off my seat.

Surely it's the bass player's job to design and print posters, put ads up on Facebook, drive the van, own and set up the lights and PA, buy a wireless system so he can do a bit of a soundcheck from out front, keep an eye on the time for starting and finishing, and then organise the breaking down and packing of everything afterwards?

Singers are supposed to turn up and spend half an hour extending their mic stand.

Our singer also turns up at 7 and sets up the lights and PA whereas I swan in 10 minutes before the 9 o'clock soundcheck, plug my amp into his extension cable, plug my bass into the amp and tune up if I really have to then I'm ready to rock and roll!

22 hours ago, discreet said:

Crikey. Gigging isn't very good for the environment, is it? But then neither is anything that humans do... I really hope we do ourselves in before we break the planet. It would be a very lovely place without us in it. :)

Anyway, that could be for another thread... :D

I'm afraid our setup isn't very eco friendly either. 4 vehicles for every gig - Merc splitter bus (see pic) for the band and some drum stuff,

Transit sized van with crew and backline, and another two vans with PA and lighting.

Doesn't help that the band and crew are all from different areas either!

Merc bus.jpg

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I'm afraid our setup isn't very eco friendly either. 4 vehicles for every gig - Merc splitter bus (see pic) for the band and some drum stuff,

Transit sized van with crew and backline, and another two vans with PA and lighting.

Doesn't help that the band and crew are all from different areas either!

Merc bus.jpg

Curious as to who the band is now :D

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Whatever - that's a fair diary and decent venues. :)

Cheers. It's not very 'rock n roll' but I still enjoy it. Fortunate to be working with a great bunch of people

who all want to be there, which makes all the difference. 

25 minutes ago, casapete said:

Cheers. It's not very 'rock n roll' but I still enjoy it. Fortunate to be working with a great bunch of people

who all want to be there, which makes all the difference. 

Just watched the promo VID and you guys are spot on. That's like watching or listening to the genuine article. I can see why my mate goes to your gigs when you play Glasgow areas.

Well done.

Dave

On 23/03/2018 at 07:50, dmccombe7 said:

Really ? more detail please.xD

We don't play often but when we do we normally get there by plane.

Our last 15 gigs have been in Barcelona, Valencia, Milan, Rome, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San francisco, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Austin, Lisbon, Porto, London

Of those 15 only 1 did not involve a plane in getting there.

Edited by Twigman

3 hours ago, Twigman said:

We don't play often but when we do we normally get there by plane.

Our last 15 gigs have been in Barcelona, Valencia, Milan, Rome, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San francisco, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Austin, Lisbon, Porto, London

Would i know the name of the band or would you prefer to be anonymous on BC which i can fully understand and appreciate.

Dave

37 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Would i know the name of the band or would you prefer to be anonymous on BC which i can fully understand and appreciate...

It's not something to be spread around too much, but since you asked...

The Red Army Choir

xD :P

Shh..! Not so loud..! Walls have ears..!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's not something to be spread around too much, but since you asked...

Hide contents

The Red Army Choir

xD :P

I love their work with the Leningrad Cowboys (no, really!) 

Shh..! Not so loud..! Walls have ears..!

8 hours ago, Twigman said:

Ooh - do we get to guess which one? :D