Why become a member? ×

Travelling to gigs. How do you get there ?

dmccombe7

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

Sorry, but I've spent way too much time driving drummers and their drums around. Extremely irritating, especially when they don't even keep their drums at the place where they live! It's like they deliberately do it on purpose just to be annoying!

And then, when they extract the urine by moaning, being totally ungrateful, not ever offering any contribution to petrol costs and then, on top of all that REFUSE TO BLOODY PLAY IN TIME, it makes me feel like chucking it all in, buying an accordion and playing it outside Sainsbury's. >:(

So there's no ill feeling there at all then ? xDxD

16 minutes ago, discreet said:

Sorry, but I've spent way too much time driving drummers and their drums around. Extremely irritating, especially when they don't even keep their drums at the place where they live! It's like they deliberately do it on purpose just to be annoying!

And then, when they extract the urine by moaning, being totally ungrateful, not ever offering any contribution to petrol costs and then, on top of all that REFUSE TO BLOODY PLAY IN TIME, it makes me feel like chucking it all in, buying an accordion and playing it outside Sainsbury's. >:(

Our drummer, has been a pro but now semi pro, he always pays his own way, generous, drives himself and his kit everywhere, doesn't expect a lift or hand , helpful with setup and plays in time! He is a definite keeper! You can all fek off, you are NOT having him. He's all mine mine mine! :D

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

So there's no ill feeling there at all then ? xDxD

Yes, well... it so happened that the drummers in question were annoying, anti-social idiots whose drumming skills were questionable. Had they been pleasant, considerate people with a great sense of rhythm, things may have been very different. :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, itsmedunc said:

Our drummer, has been a pro but now semi pro, he always pays his own way, generous, drives himself and his kit everywhere, doesn't expect a lift or hand , helpful with setup and plays in time! He is a definite keeper! You can all fek off, you are NOT having him. He's all mine mine mine! :D

Worry not - I have one of those too, thank God - only the second I've found in 44 years. I didn't appreciate the first one, I thought all drummers were that good. Imagine my disappointment over the next four decades as the awful truth dawned..! O.o

• Haha 1

Someone said their singer turns up early and sets up the lights and PA. I nearly fell off my seat.

Surely it's the bass player's job to design and print posters, put ads up on Facebook, drive the van, own and set up the lights and PA, buy a wireless system so he can do a bit of a soundcheck from out front, keep an eye on the time for starting and finishing, and then organise the breaking down and packing of everything afterwards?

Singers are supposed to turn up and spend half an hour extending their mic stand.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, discreet said:

More like thirty seconds before the first number starts, staggering drunk. Male singers can be even worse. O.o

Yep, that's happened to bands I've been in. Often more like 10 minutes after than 30 seconds before the first number starts, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

Someone said their singer turns up early and sets up the lights and PA. I nearly fell off my seat.

Surely it's the bass player's job to design and print posters, put ads up on Facebook, drive the van, own and set up the lights and PA, buy a wireless system so he can do a bit of a soundcheck from out front, keep an eye on the time for starting and finishing, and then organise the breaking down and packing of everything afterwards?

Singers are supposed to turn up and spend half an hour extending their mic stand.

Never a truer word spoken.

3 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Everybody in the band has a car. Two members have stopped drinking. This helps me immensely. Not only can I now get bladdered but I get a lift with the PA too! Only took 40 years to get this far!

Blimey itsmedunc.... Can I dep for you? ;)

I'm in several bands, so it varies, depending on which band / where the venue is etc
But generally, most of us drive, and we try to share lifts whenever possible....

1 hour ago, HengistPod said:

Are you me? :D

1 hour ago, HengistPod said:

dont forget actually collecting the cash/arguing with the landlord at the end of the gig as well!

In the last band my neighbour was singer , guitarist , sound and lights . 

Bonus was, he didn't drink when gigging , so I brought the big van home and he drove it. Some quality booze fests when I played with that crew , though it was a bit tetchy for a few weeks when I left the band. 

I drive to all the gigs now , and since the one gig I had a few scoops at recently left me busting for a p1ss halfway through the second set , I am happy to drive now :D