Why become a member? ×

Advice Sought - PJB Content

cLepto-bass

So I have downsized from a large 4x10 and currently in the market for a smaller, more portable cab with the future option to add to it IF needed.

Top of the list is an Aguilar DB112 but lately I have been strangely drawn to the world of the Phil Jones bass cab philosophy an looking at the C4 cab. But therein lies the issue, I have never played through a PJB cab so have no idea what to expect. So with that in mind, is there anyone out there willing to give their verdict on these cabs? What can I accept tonally? What kind of volume practice/gig would it be best suited to? And for anyone who might have experience in both the DB112 and C4, how does it compare? Its also probably worth mentioning that I use a Markbass LMII which I have owned since 2006 and that is a keeper, so is there any way of getting an idea of how the LMII and C4 might work together.

Ordinarily, I would head over to Youtube but there appears to be a real dearth of videos on the C4.

Pretty vague question, I realise, but any input would be great.

Thanks all.

Guest Jecklin

Really you will have to try them both.

I can't imagine you won't be very pleased with a db112, but the c4 is marginally smaller and lighter which may be important to you.

The aguilar is rated at 95db and the c4 100db.

However i have seen various comments about the c4 being not very sensitive and requiring a fair bit of juice so I'd take that 100db with a pinch of salt.

I adore phil jones gear, but it depends on the setting you play in.

What genre(s) of music do you play?

If you are up against loud drummer and/or a big guitar sound either of these cabinets could struggle if they were on their own.

Others with more experience than me will no doubt have better insights.

Don’t forget the new 4x7 cab, that’s on my must try list.  Designed to be more affordable.

I think you’ve got to hear it for yourself - PJB gear is very different in its conception, and is clear and defined in character.  Aguilar is more traditional and has a voicing built in.  

Phil Jones himself (from FB comments) is not a Markbass fan, although of course your amp could sound absolutely fine through a PJB cab 😜

I have a couple of C4s. You need a few of them to develop any weight to the sound - I use my two with a 4B and it's fine for most situations. Handy for me at my advanced age to carry several small cabs rather than one big one. They like plenty of power - efficiency is low, but don't like to be pushed really hard. You have to find the sweet spot. Very crisp and hi-fi sounding and better, imho, with a warmer sounding amp. When I bought my C4s, I actually tried them with a MB LM3 in the shop and thought it was a good foil to the cabs, for me at any rate. When I bought a new head recently, I tried the LM, but preferred the AG700, which I subsequently bought.