Why become a member? ×

Motown shows

casapete

I was just wondering if anyone has been to see 'Motown the Musical' ?

Always fancied going to see a good Motown show, and although not generally being a great fan

of musicals, was wondering if anybody can recommend one.

'Magic of Motown' is another touring show doing theatres etc, am sure there are a few more.

Something with a live band is essential, any recommendations welcomed. 

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by casapete

I've seen lots. Tina Turner, Buddy Holly, 5 Guys Named Mo, The 4 Seasons, the Small Faces, Fela! and the great Rocky Horror Show to name a few. 

I just love live music and seeing performers doing their jobs well. The West End can be expensive but you can get Groupon tickets etc that make it doable and the out of town theatres on the circuit put on the touring versions of the London shows and really good shows in their own right.

Yes, we went to "Motown the Musical". It's some time since we went and the lasting memory of "The Buddy Holly Story" is much more lasting, although we saw that a longer time ago. I'd put "The Jersey Boys" above it too.

I've seen TBHS a few times. Don't know as I'd rush to see MTM as readily, but it was good for an evening's entertainment. Somehow the sound, for me at least, didn't quite capture the magic of Motown. At the time I couldn't put a finger on it, but my guess is they didn't quite hit the bass lines of Jamerson. Can't say, however, that the question is burning so much in my mind that I have to lash out the price of tickets, train, meal, etc, etc,.

Don't let me put you off though. I'd like to hear the thoughts of others.

Does Memphis count? I saw that with Beverly Knight (totally in love with everything about her) and Matt Cardle of X-Factor fame... He was very good and held his own while sharing a stage with Beverly Knight, which I think is commendable. It was excellent. While it's not exactly 'my thing' I have a huge amount of respect for all the performers in the musicals.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

It was a good while back, but I don`t recall having anything bad to say about any of it, band/bassist/singing/anything. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes , it was a long while back. I used to dep on the corporate gigs. While the show was running in the West End, there would also be another production out on corporate shows (popular show at the time). It was a good show to do, playing wise.

10 hours ago, casapete said:

I was just wondering if anyone has been to see 'Motown the Musical' ?

Always fancied going to see a good Motown show, and although not generally being a great fan

of musicals, was wondering if anybody can recommend one.

'Magic of Motown' is another touring show doing theatres etc, am sure there are a few more.

Something with a live band is essential, any recommendations welcomed. 

Cheers, Pete.

We've been to the Motown musical and thought it was excellent. The band is very good as is the bass playing (bass player uses a Sadowski).

Dancing in the Streets was also good - I've played with the guitarist who was in the West End show - all excellent. 

I always find myself listening to the band and the arrangement as much as watching the show when going to musicals. Thriller is also excellent (great bass player also). 

We Will Rock You was also great - with the wonderful Neil Murray on bass. 

Edited by drTStingray