Why become a member? ×

Ovnilab - Compressor comparison tool

GarethFlatlands

First up, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the effects forum or somewhere else so feel free to move it if needed.

I'm not sure if anyone has clocked but on the main page for Ovnilab it states they're working on a system to compare compressor options. In the hope of re-training myself in web development, I've offered to help out if I can. Before I get in too deep into coding and find it's not what people want, what are people's thoughts on how such a tool would work? What kind of features would you like to be able to compare comps by? I've got as far as searching by maximum price and think scores for ease of use, transparency would be useful, as well as format (small/large pedal, rack) and type (1176, Ross clone etc).

Please let me know your thoughts and I'll take them to Cyrus and hopefully get something up and running before the sun runs out of fuel and expands to engulf the Earth before collapsing in on itself.

Thanks

Gareth

Examples of the same bass line through each with a couple of variations ie low ratio 2:1 low threshold vs higher ratio 5:1 high threshold assorted attack release times would be awesome. Best of all in a mix!

I realise this is probably not achievable but its actually the only thing that matters....

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions so far. A noise rating is a great idea and one thing I'd thought of but neglected to mention in my original post. Controls possibly fell under "ease of use" and as there are too many possible options, I don't think it'd be feasible or useful to use this as a criteria for comparing comps, although it would be great in a comments/other information box somewhere. Power supply and dual/single band are certainly possible, as is metering (a simple yes/no or something more in depth?) as is valve/analogue/digital. Clips are a great idea but a huge amount of work and out of the scope of what I'm hoping to do.

Maybe once a list is generated from the options available, being able to dismiss options would be useful to narrow down potential candidates?

Valve/analogue/digal is a very poor and misleading spec to use.

First valve is analogue, second many 'valve' compressors just have a valve preamp which is a very different thing to actual valve based compression which is properly called vari-mu.

You would be better off with:-

VCA

Vari-mu

Tube pre-amped VCA

FET

Optical

Digital

Just saying....

And yes it makes a real difference to the conpressor sound

Edited by 51m0n
  • Thanks 1

On 20/03/2018 at 19:04, GarethFlatlands said:

I'm not sure if anyone has clocked but on the main page for Ovnilab it states they're working on a system to compare compressor options. In the hope of re-training myself in web development, I've offered to help out if I can. Before I get in too deep into coding and find it's not what people want, what are people's thoughts on how such a tool would work?

Nice idea! Here's an example of something similar(ish) that I find very useful... the 'Clipalator' tool on the Zen Pro Audio website:

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

Allows users to play clips of the same sound files run through a whole bunch of different gear. They update it as new gear gets added to their store. Worth a look.

24 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Nice idea! Here's an example of something similar(ish) that I find very useful... the 'Clipalator' tool on the Zen Pro Audio website:

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

Allows users to play clips of the same sound files run through a whole bunch of different gear. They update it as new gear gets added to their store. Worth a look.

Bingo....

On 3/23/2018 at 13:27, tandark said:

I thought OVNI was no longer being updated in anyway? Has he changed his mind?

I'm not sure, I got in touch with him a few months ago and have been learning web dev stuff in the meantime so haven't spoken to him in a while. Even if he's not, I might carry on with it anyway, it'd be a good resource and useful if I applied for a web dev job later down the line.

Guest adi77

i have an idea

opto comp type, korg's nutube gain stage (so the pedal can be a smaller format yet tube-y), slow/fast release switch, soft/hard knee switch, input (threshold), gain reduction, in built side chain maybe till 300hz., dry/wet blend

Edited by adi77

• 5 months later...
On 01/09/2018 at 23:36, slingo said:

I realise I'm quite late to this party so my input may be academic now, but for those of us who play 5 or 6 string basses, I'm interested to know how much if any of the low end is lost?

I'm not getting any response from Ovnilab so I'm considering starting up a complementary site that helps out with compressor comparisons but doesn't tread on Silas' toes. Unfortunately, it's a big job and I'm not sure where to start. Not only that, my ears are obviously nowhere near as good as his!

It's going to be a (very ongoing) project if it ever even gets up and running so I'll keep re-checking this thread so any input will be considered.