Why become a member? ×

Woodinblack

So noone had ever told me about the Fireman shape that Ibanez do, or the reverse iceman. 

Someone on my facebook linked to a Paul Gilbert video and he was demonstrating his fireman, well, he wasn't but it is his signature guitar and he was demonstrating how easy it was to play like Paul Gilbert if you happen to be Paul Gilbert. Which he is, so it is pretty easy.

Anyway, ignoring how good he is, that guitar shape is brilliant - litterally an upside down iceman with a bit chopped out of the (now) bottom part of the lower horn for access, thus getting rid of the neck dive problem of the iceman straight away.

Well, it turns out that ibanez don't make a fireman bass.

Looking on the net, there is one place in the states that makes reverse iceman bodies for a bass, but it it obviously quite expensive shipping. And it is for a fender neck, would be nice with an iceman neck.

So I really really want a fireman bass, a 5 string one. Anyone any idea where I can get a body for one (or the whole thing)?

I've owned a few Iceman guitars over the years, and only ever had a neck dive issue with one of them, which had a basswood body, instead of mahogany like the rest (owned 6, guitars, still own 2). The mahogany bodied IC's balanced superbly.

I have a basswood bodied iceman, which dives quite a bit. Obviously the bass neck just makes it worse. It is actually very light.

But the reverse sounds like it would be a plan, moving the front strap button way forward.

There is a bass body on ebay, but a lot of shipping, so there is just some part of me thinking 'well, I will make a new body, how hard can it be?' :biggrin: