Why become a member? ×

Fender American Vintage 1985 Jazz Bass - genuine?

Its a lemon

Check the waterslide ' Fender  '  edges.  This has been applied by a hairy primate. Same about the decal edges on the other

part of the logo...

Now check the cheap ( letroset ? )  '  Jazz Bass / Electric ' etc. The letters differ in size, and  angle,  and the whole decal, as stated, is in the wrong place

A gullible buyer might get taken, but  an enthusiast Jazz Basser would simply laugh and point

scam1.jpg

scam2.jpg

Edited by fleabag

Sorry guys it could be a  62 USA vintage reissue from about 1985. The only way to date it is to remove the neck. The 'V' serial number started in 1982

Logo's were always applied over the lacquer on the vintage basses and so they do split, rub off.

I think it's genuine. I've looked at a few on line and they all seem to have slightly different decals. I remember selling a brand new reissue strat in 1989 and it didn't look very good. The paint was orange peely and patchy. Brand new, we were fender dealers

Edited by police squad

1 minute ago, police squad said:

Sorry guys that's a 62 USA vintage reissue from about 1985. The only way to date it is to remove the neck. The 'V' serial number started in 1982

Logo's were always applied over the lacquer on the vintage basses and so they do split, rub off.

I think it's genuine

Thanks P.S.
There is a photo on the listing with the neck removed, showing the numbers 1/16/85 and the serial number on the neck plate looks to start with V.
But I thought the '62 reissues had stack knobs - is this not the case?
Are these series of basses generally regarded well or not and does the price seem reasonable?

1 minute ago, redstriper said:

Thanks P.S.
There is a photo on the listing with the neck removed, showing the numbers 1/16/85 and the serial number on the neck plate looks to start with V.
But I thought the '62 reissues had stack knobs - is this not the case?
Are these series of basses generally regarded well or not and does the price seem reasonable?

The reissues didn't all have stacked knobs IIRC I have seen both online but they may have been converted from stack knobs. The Jap ones were VVT

1 minute ago, KiOgon said:

The photo showing the neck heel also shows a pot and wiring, that ain't a CTS pot and the grey screened lead shown soldered to the pot ain't Fender either, so I doubt the pick ups are.

POS IMHO.

Okay, that's it - I'm going to leave it, there are too many question marks.........
Thanks everyone, it's been a lesson in the dangers of buying used Fenders without provenance.

4 minutes ago, redstriper said:

Okay, that's it - I'm going to leave it, there are too many question marks.........
Thanks everyone, it's been a lesson in the dangers of buying used Fenders without provenance.

A wise move I reckon ^_^

On reflection, it looks like Humph's bass which he sold in the shop in upper Bangor way back when. It was really nice. I have just asked him by email. Anyone not familiar with Bangor guitar shops and the local scene can zone out now .

On 29/03/2018 at 16:49, redstriper said:

Wise move yoda  B|

On 3/30/2018 at 00:13, fleabag said:

If that's genuine i'll eat my '57 gold top les paul

Funnily enough, I played a '54 gold top Les Paul yesterday - someone took it into a shop I was in; it was bloody marvellous!

I only went in to get a couple of patch leads, I saw a penny in the car park and picked it up, and I ended up buying a compressor pedal (CP-1X).