Why become a member? ×

Speaker upgrade for GK MB150E

NHM

I own a GK MB150E-lll combo, and it is a fantastic amp with a perfect balance between practicality and sound. I have been considering purchasing the extension cab to get a little more volume and headroom. However, I'm reluctant to have to carry more gear around as I can manage the amp, my bass and a cable bag in 'one trip' - OK, may be a bit lazy, but gigging has to be as practical as possible - these are nimble times.

So as an alternative I'm considering upgrading the speaker in the MB to a 4 Ohm 200W to maximise the amp's power output? Has anyone any experience of this? Will adding a new speaker with extra wattage capacity make any meaningful difference to loudness / clarity in a sealed cabinet? 

I had an MB150S for a while, over 10 years ago.  The model itself is, what, 30 years old?  Has the tech kept up with more modern developments in the world of speakers/amps?

Anyway, it wasn't loud enough.  I subsequently used a Genz Benz head + Barefaced One10 cab for a while, and now I use a digital amp sim + RCF HD 10-A powered speaker.  Either setup handles around 400W, louder than the GK, but still about the same weight.  So if it was me, I'd sell the MB150E over modding it.

BTW if you love the MB150 sound, I saw that the GK Plex has an MB150 preset - although I've not tried that preamp myself, so don't know how close it gets.  (To be used in conjunction with a powered speaker.)

Edited by jrixn1

3 hours ago, NHM said:

Will adding a new speaker with extra wattage capacity make any meaningful difference to loudness / clarity in a sealed cabinet? 

Probably not, as most speakers are limited in their output by the size of the cabinet and the excursion limit of the driver, not the driver thermal power limit. To get a worthwhile increase you need to double the driver excursion and increase power by a factor of four to make use of that excursion.

When I replaced the 12” speaker in a 200MB (older version of the MB150) I did some research - essentially, it’s such an unusually small cabinet for a 12” driver that virtually nothing but the GK one will work well (very stiff cone).  I doubt they make a 4ohm version. The GK extension cab makes sense for the times you need it. 

Thanks for all these comments, this is a brilliant website for advice. So it looks like not such a good idea to try any mods and stick with the status quo (oh, err, those lc Va cadences!).