Why become a member? ×

Leaving a band

josie

Standard around here growing up was always 4 hours.  For some reason,  standard has become 3 hours.  Less than that seems unsatisfying.  Load your gear in your vehicle,  drive to gig,  unload and set up at gig.........play.........tear down and load into vehicle,  drive home,  unload gear into house.  Two hours and you're just warming up.  No wonder Springsteen and The Dead played marathon gigs.  I love playing parties where you might play for 6 hours.

There are fewer now, but in the '60s and '70s, every French village had a dance night, especially during the long summer season. The standard timing was 21h00 till 02h00, with no break, in either the town 'salle de fêtes' or a marquee in the town square. Weddings could go on for longer; much longer (dusk till dawn and beyond on occasion...). I played these for many years, drumming (or, very occasionally, bass...), with a very varied repertoire (hence the name 'variety orchestra'. It built stamina. :)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There are fewer now, but in the '60s and '70s, every French village had a dance night, especially during the long summer season. The standard timing was 21h00 till 02h00, with no break, in either the town 'salle de fêtes' or a marquee in the town square. Weddings could go on for longer; much longer (dusk till dawn and beyond on occasion...). I played these for many years, drumming (or, very occasionally, bass...), with a very varied repertoire (hence the name 'variety orchestra'. It built stamina. :)

Crikey.

You must have had forearms like Popeye!

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Crikey.

You must have had forearms like Popeye!

This was before drum micing became a 'thing', but I've never been (nor needed to be...) a 'hard hitter'. I did bitterly regret breaking my precious cymbals too early (Paiste 602; not the most resilient for 'rock' stuff...), but other than that, just as bass tone is all in the fingers, drumming is all in the wrists. I do have a solid bass-drum pedal (left...) ankle, though..! xD