Why become a member? ×

Bassist Ad again

yorks5stringer

On 3/20/2018 at 00:32, yorks5stringer said:

A little while ago I posted an ad from this person from JMB. Many (though not I) thought his attitude was fine. He has now posted a new ad in an adjacent area and I thought it was worthy of some air-time:

Hello, I haven’t advertised in the Dorset area before. I’ll write slowly so you’ ll understand me. 
I’m an experienced bass player looking to join other musicians with experience to play just about any genre, there’s a posh word for you, genre. I’m willing to commit to only one band, don’t want to do dep work, that’s short for “deputising “ as you say in Dorset. As I’ve said, I’m experienced and just looking for the right opportunity playing music . I have professional gear and reliable transport. 
I don’t have a pidgeon loft, so use the internet to get in touch.

He clearly needs help....... I think he may be going solo from here on in.

6 minutes ago, spike said:

Looks to me that he's become tired of being messed around by timewasters and unfortunately he's letting it show. I would never write an ad like that but I can sympathise a little bit. 

That's what I thought. Trouble is, fantasists and flakes don't know that they're fantasists and flakes (or if they do, they won't admit it), so such an ad will likely put everyone off.

3 hours ago, Yank said:

I don't think he's a bass player.  He say's he's got professional gear and reliable transport.  Next he's gonna say he's got a girlfriend.  

Ha! Quite. And then tell us he doesn't live with his mum and has a full-time job. Obvious fantasist...

Edited by discreet

I've just had a PM conversation with him and  unfortunately, when he started telling me my standards were much lower than his,  and again repeated he has played with 2 pro bands, I realised I was not worthy. He did admit his ad above was sarcastic- and I did suggest he might be more successful if he was less 'edgy'...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I've just had a PM conversation with him and  unfortunately, when he started telling me my standards were much lower than his,  and again repeated he has played with 2 pro bands, I realised I was not worthy. He did admit his ad above was sarcastic- and I did suggest he might be more successful if he was less 'edgy'...

Oh no, that must have been a shock to learn about your low standards. But on the bright side you dodged a bullet, so... :D

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

So... still a pink torpedo.

I've just done a google search of the guy, and yes he played with some big names in the 60's and 70's. I'm not going to name him but you could do your own research however. Doesn't excuse his attitude  mind and given his pedigree, he may be looking on the wrong site (JMB) for a pro band....

1 minute ago, yorks5stringer said:

I've just done a google search of the guy, and yes he played with some big names in the 60's and 70's. I'm not going to name him but you could do your own research however. Doesn't excuse his attitude  mind and given his pedigree, he may be looking on the wrong site (JMB) for a pro band....

Why would I want to know anything about someone who can't place a simple advert without sentiment?

Is it time for a discussion about what constitutes a "professional musician" again? :)

(I.e. I get paid to turn up at a pub and knock out Rockin' in the Free World and similar hoary chestnuts. Ergo, professional. No you're not, you're just an amateur that gets paid, et cetera. Cont. p97.)

27 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

Is it time for a discussion about what constitutes a "professional musician" again? :)

(I.e. I get paid to turn up at a pub and knock out Rockin' in the Free World and similar hoary chestnuts. Ergo, professional. No you're not, you're just an amateur that gets paid, et cetera. Cont. p97.)

No.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

He must have a few years on me ( and I'm 63) and seems to have turned into a miserable Old Git ( and I fully recognise there are F/t and P/t versions...)

Aw shucks thanks.  Heeheehee, I'm touched by your considerate comment.

(What are you after?)

10 minutes ago, discreet said:

Understandable. Decades of exposure to flakes and fantasists will do that. :biggrin:

Speaking as an ageing part-time one, the recent and frequent exposure to snow flakes has most certainly contributed to the negative aspects of my own personal gitdom.  Take meaning from that term as you wish.

I quite enjoy a good fantasy however.  I'm still a git but a happy one.

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Speaking as an ageing part-time one, the recent and frequent exposure to marmalade sandwiches has most certainly contributed to the negative aspects of my own personal gitdom.  Take meaning from that term as you wish.

I quite enjoy a good fantasy however.  I'm still a git but a happy one.

Hmm... >:(