Why become a member? ×

Bassist Ad again

yorks5stringer

A little while ago I posted an ad from this person from JMB. Many (though not I) thought his attitude was fine. He has now posted a new ad in an adjacent area and I thought it was worthy of some air-time:

Hello, I haven’t advertised in the Dorset area before. I’ll write slowly so you’ ll understand me. 
I’m an experienced bass player looking to join other musicians with experience to play just about any genre, there’s a posh word for you, genre. I’m willing to commit to only one band, don’t want to do dep work, that’s short for “deputising “ as you say in Dorset. As I’ve said, I’m experienced and just looking for the right opportunity playing music . I have professional gear and reliable transport. 
I don’t have a pidgeon loft, so use the internet to get in touch.

• Haha 1

I ran a live music venue out in the sticks and once a month we hosted a comedy night. Believe me after the first six or seven comedians had run through their ooh-aaar sheep shagging jokes the routines became more than a little wearing.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

If you're going to patronise people (that means "talk down to" for all you thickies out there ;)) then at least learn to spell pigeon.

Punctuation is pretty is pretty poor as well: too many commas and not enough (or indeed any) brackets, speech marks in place of apostrophes, and so on.

Unless of course it's deliberate...

Either way, it's difficult to see who he's aiming the ad at. If indeed it is an ad...

Edited by leftybassman392

You know, funny, sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek, or whatever that passes for, the thing that leaves me stone cold is the grammar, spelling and abbreviation.  You' ll? pidgeon? That irritating space before the fullstop after the word music? The inverted commas (and space therein) when he/she uses the word deputising.

If you're going to be an asshat, at least get the freaking text right.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

"Now, now...please calm down. That's right. Put your feet up on the couch.

OK....you don't mind if I continue taking notes do you ? OK, that's good. Just try and relax.

Now, carrying on from last session, you were saying your mother was from Dorset...."

I've now found the earlier ad which alerted me to him:

Well, I’ve met some dreamers, wishful thinkers and enthusiastic but badly organised bands over the last month. It’s been a bit of fun but I’m an experienced bass player and maybe I need to get serious. I have years of experience and have played most genres . I have good kit and transport and have played professionally. Now I would be happy to either play for fun or money provided the other musicians are as committed as me. Get in touch, I have no ego.

4 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I've now found the earlier ad which alerted me to him:

Well, I’ve met some dreamers, wishful thinkers and enthusiastic but badly organised bands over the last month. It’s been a bit of fun but I’m an experienced bass player and maybe I need to get serious. I have years of experience and have played most genres . I have good kit and transport and have played professionally. Now I would be happy to either play for fun or money provided the other musicians are as committed as me. Get in touch, I have no ego.

Not sure I agree with the last sentence.

I didn't have a problem with the last post of said bassist you shared.  However they seemed to have taken it up a notch - really doesn't come across well.  I guess the "no ego" comments are an attempt at irony as well as humour.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

I ran a live music venue out in the sticks and once a month we hosted a comedy night. Believe me after the first six or seven comedians had run through their ooh-aaar sheep shagging jokes the routines became more than a little wearing.

When I was in a local pub (Forest of Dean) someone made a crack about shagging sheep, to which an old soak at the bar shouted: "We don't shag sheep, we rape outsiders."

It was crude, but got the point across adequately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4