Why become a member? ×

Bass Gear

Colonel Saunders

Hi all, joined only a week or so ago but omitted to describe my gear and musical tastes.  So, I have been trying to master the bass for 5-6 years and in this time experimented with all sorts of permutations looking for "that sound" and have finally settled on Genz Benz Streamliner 600 married to Genz Benz shuttle 2x10 and 1x12. My basses at present are SX jazz bass and SX P bass which for the money are pleasing to my ears and versatile enough to cover most genres.  My musical tastes span the decades, when I was playing sax and clarinet I was into the modern standards swing and jazz.  Since picking up the bass I have been more cavalier in my approach and get enjoyment from from anything that " ROCKS" covering a wide spectrum rock, indie, punk.  Band currently without a drummer¬¬

Hello again Colonel.

In your search for that sound did you try anything with a headstock that wasn't shaped like one made by Leo?  I had to look up SX basses.  It led me to wonder just how many Fendish clones there are out there.

I searched with the text string: 'How many Fender clones are there?''  I got the usual high level responses from other search engines and from chancy websites trying to sell me clones (of what gawd only knows).  I suppose it is a question with a variable answer.  It would depend on the week in which you asked the question perhaps.

I did find this from our own parish.

There is an ongoing debate between people who see Fender (and Fenderish clones) as THE bass guitar and everyone else.

The former group tends to sub-divide into those who like Js and those who like Ps.  They then sub-divide into those who like a J with a P neck and those who like a P with a J neck.  Then you have those who like J pups on a P body vs those who like P pups on a J body.  Some will have all possible variants.  They are usually able to describe precisely which songs they need each individual bass for with zealous glee.

The latter group does all of that but they do it without that ruddy headstock.  You might be forgiven for thinking that I don't like Fenders.  Wrong.  I just don't the headstock.

I think that it's the defining thing for lots of punters however.  Public perception (for muggles) seems to be along the lines of; If it hasn't got that instantly recognisable headstock shape it can't be Rock n Roll*.

Public perception is a huge factor in deciding whether you get engagements or not.  It's crucial to present a selling image if you want to grow a following and continue to grow as a band.  If it wasn't a factor the debate would fade away and be largely forgotten.

Fortunately Basschat is one of the institutions that will explain away a lot of the nonsense that is attached to the debate.  Search the site.  There have been vast numbers of posts from people wondering if they really need to follow the trend to Fend.

Live long, prosper and may the GAS be with you.

*Insert genre of choice, if you are a muggle.

'Ello Colonel, how's it going? I've heard so many good things about those SX basses, if I'd had the chance to try one I'd have been very tempted myself! Ended up with a fantastic Squier VM Jazz, as I've wanted a Jazz for years but those seem to SX's come really recommended at that price point!

Have you had yours long? Are they holding up well?