Why become a member? ×

Top Of The Pops

Bluewine

6 hours ago, FinnDave said:

And, of course, none of us ever used to borrow a mate's album and tape it...

Good point.

But given how long it took to copy LPs even with a double speed twin deck like I had, recording was a faff.  What noise reduction bodge would you apply?  What about the sleeve notes?  Are you going to risk using a dodgy C120 for the longer LPs?  Lots of potential snags.  The volume of piracy today is far and above what was practical to do, let alone what actually done back in the days of analogue.  I am of course discounting piracy for cash for this discussion.

Now it's a couple of clicks and wallop!  Instant gratification.

The thing about instant gratification is that it is thin on substance.  It's so easy to come by that it is not valued as much as something that you put at least a token effort into acquiring.  I'd argue that music is devalued because there is so much of it and all of it is conveniently provided through a medium that is particularly well suited to almost instant copying.

Now it's a case of easy come easy go.  Volatile media on servers that are gawd knows where in the world can save your playlists and digital rights to music that you have bought but it can ALL disappear in one click from anywhere in the world (or orbit of the world come to that).  You are powerless to prevent it.  You must back-up everything.  We never had that hassle before.  You'd buy a thing once and keep it in your house.  For digital files, the notion of making two three or even four (if you listen to anally retentive I.T. types) copies is abhorrent to me.

The old way meant that when there was a power cut, you could at least still read your sleeve notes.  If I value a piece of music, I have to own it on physical media.  I use discs as a preference.  I have all of my four track cassettes too.  They were recorded from my LPs prior to my return to England because I didn't feel happy about shipping all that vinyl.  I don't really think of memory sticks as physical media.

I download lots of music clips from YT.  I consider these to be disposable.  I save songs that I want to practice with.  I learn about new musical trends and discover old songs that I missed out on at the time of release.  When I find something I like, I go out and buy it.  Nowadays it's not easy to do that but as long as there are physical outlets in my area I will use them.  I have a responsibility to my local economy too, remember.

The other thing about old fashioned piracy was that it would often help the sale of LPs due to the poor sound quality of most home recordings.  That's not a factor any more.

Edited by SpondonBassed

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Good point.

But given how long it took to copy LPs even with a double speed twin deck like I had, recording was a faff.  What noise reduction bodge would you apply?  What about the sleeve notes?  Are you going to risk using a dodgy C120 for the longer LPs?  Lots of potential snags.  The volume of piracy today is far and above what was practical to do, let alone what actually done back in the days of analogue.  I am of course discounting piracy for cash for this discussion.

Not only that but a decent cassette to record it on was going to cost you about half what the album would have cost in the first place.

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Not only that but a decent cassette to record it on was going to cost you about half what the album would have cost in the first place.

Oh man!

I used to be a regular flier in the good old days of Duty Free shopping at airports.  I bought packets and packets of high grade tape from those shops.  Chrome, I think, was the flavour in favour at the time.

I saved a bundle on backing up my LP collection.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 20:06, pineweasel said:

I used to buy in bulk. A decent TDK C90 was about a quid, at a time when albums were a fiver, and you’d get an album on each side. 

Apparently cassettes may be making a comeback. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/kylie-minogue-golden-album-leads-cassette-tape-revival-as-music-fans-rewind/

Just now, PaulWarning said:

weren't they great? the way they used to cut the song in half if it didn't all fit onto one track

I used to work in a record store and remember loads of people bringing them back with exactly that complaint.

Proggy bands with long track sequences suffered the most IIRC - Floyd, Yes etc

Not many people would realise that the 8 track cartridge uses one only reel to store the tape therein.

The tape is spooled out from the centre, around the PB/Rec heads before it returns to the outside of the reel.  When new, the tape is loosely wound and it is slippery enough for things to work nicely.  Over time and with exposure to hot and cold environments the tape tightens up and playback suffers.  I think they're still used by analogue radio stations because they suit short term applications such as jingles and station idents.  They've not been seen in car audio systems for a couple of decades

The Elcaset was a non-starter even though it was in the high end Hi-Fi outlets that I'd spend a lot of time in during my youth in the seventies;

Elcaset.png.6d920f21b4c69b40a00681e430245031.png

I don't think you will find many TOTP episodes' sound tracks on these.

To put this in context; Betamax (a video cassette) lost out to VHS causing lots of folk to regret their investment in the format.  Sony later released the mkII of Betamax in a smaller version that rivalled the mini VHS cassettes that became popular in camcorders.  Years before, the Elcaset was launched to address shortcomings in the four track Compact Cassette.  It was said that the larger Elcaset would give users of reel to reel tape machines an experience closer to what they got from full width tape reels.

It bombed Worse than Betamax.

Then Compact Discs pulled the rug out from both formats...

Now we're talking realistically about using DNA strings for data storage.  It's amazing to witness all of that development in my own lifetime.

Wow.  Just Wow - no flutter.